SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21846237

Dogs as tools

User
16 years ago

Over on the Pets forum a member asked about pet laws and a couple of us got sidetracked about using dogs as something other than pets.

As I understand the history of dogs and mankind, dogs were first used as helpers to men. Hunting, mainly. Then the idea of having the dogs guard the camp/herd/flock/etc. got popular. Then dogs began guarding buildings or property. At thye same time---especially in the Far East, dogs were being raised as objects of status---the Emperor had a certain variety which no mere mortal could own. That may have started the dog for pets movement. Dogs who had no job, save be a pet.

However, seems to me the majority of breeds started out as working dogs---or tools to help people.

Now, due to the changes in the workplace and food raising, people seldom need a working dog---save for protection or assistance.

The point was offered that most folks do not have enough possessions worth enough money(museum quality was the term) to necessitate having a guard dog. Weapons were also mentioned---that mine would wind up being stolen and in the hands of criminals.

Those scenarios could happen. But, in the twenty five years I have kept dogs who watch and guard my house---and the last decade and a half has been in a neighborhood with accelerating crimes against property instances----my house has never been a statistic. Three neighbors---beside or behind my place neighbors---have had breakins or vandalism.

I own one gun. I am keeping five guns for a relative to minimize a problem. We have several collectables we prize---irreplaceable items. But the major reason i have so much 'protection' is that I am primarily responsible for my family's safety and my properties safety. Everything I do to protect them is legal and moral. I don't know if I would shoot an intruder---depends on the situation. I have trained in combat shooting situations and know the dangers of shooting in the dark or around panicked family members. One method of minimizing those dangers is to have a dog(s) who will ignore a family member and attack or corner an intruder----so I have more time to consider any action and to safely acquire a target and be sure that target is not a family member. The dogs will also attack even if a family member is taken as a shield---creating a multiple division of attention for the intruder. That is my rational for having dogs as part of my home defense program.

Now, when those dogs are not corraling a robber/home invader, they don't have much to do. So, they also function as family pets. We play ball, tug of war, simply keep each other company I scratch, they lick, and we become more closely attuned to each other.

One of my current dogs was uncontrolled when I got him. He did not even act like a dog. Now, he plays with the other dog, plays ball(He had no idea of how to play before), is in much better physical shape---since I can now take him to the vet and the vet can actually touch him---and has ceased most of his antisocial behavior. He still has a nagging dog aggression issue when in the yard---out of the yard on leash he is fine---and he hates cats. But those things are curable and getting to be less of a problem.

So, using dogs as a tool is nothing of which to be ashamed, nor is it wrong.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery