Return to the Pet Debates Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
please help me decide about dog adoption

Posted by katrina_ellen (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 31, 11 at 9:37

My daughter recently was given a bichon freize from one of her clients (daughter grooms dogs) who is going into hospice sadly. She raised the dog from a pup and she is 3 years old. The lady was partially disabled and this dog was a big part of her life, she spent lots of time with her. My daughter should not have taken the dog because she already had 5 dogs, so I said I would take her for a trial period. I work full time and would be gone at least 9 hrs. a day. I have been taking the dog to work with me but that won't last. I think a dog should not be on its own 9 hrs. a day, 5 days a week, and the other times I am gone for whatever else I do. I am single and live alone. Is it advisable I keep the dog? I feel in good concious I cannot leave the dog alone that long, but maybe others are in the same situation and it works out? Thanks for any comments - I really am not sure what to do.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: please help me decide about dog adoption

Would it be possible for you to get her a pal - another little dog? I work f/t too, but I have a fenced-in yard and a doggie door. I adopted two dogs and they are truly the best of friends - practically joined at the hip. I had an Irish Wolfhound before and I find my little Bichon-Cockapoos to be so much more emotionally needy - for each other and me. I can't imagine your little dog being alone that much. Also, if you can afford it, think about putting your dog in doggie daycare on the days that you are going out in the evening. My friend has a standing appointment for her dog every Friday. And lastly, try to find a kid or maybe even retired person in your neighborhood who can stop over for a visit and a walk midday when needed.

o
use other forum - RE: please help me decide about dog adoption

Also, you may want to post this in the pets forum, which is much more active, rather than the debates forum.

o
RE: please help me decide about dog adoption

Thanks betsyhac. Yes this little bichon is very needy. Follows me everywhere and wants to go everywhere with me. She is the sweetest dog, but I do think since I can't afford dog daycare that I will have to find another option.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pet Debates Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here