SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spiritual_gardner

Thank you Senator Byrd

spiritual_gardner
16 years ago

Politics aside (because there are some things this Senator has done that I don't agree with), Sentaor Byrd is to be congratulated by all animal lovers everywhere for his elloquant speech he gave 7/19/07 in the Senate chamber. I am going to call and perhaps send a card of thanks to him for putting into words how so many feel. Following is a copy of the article and speech as that appeared in the Washington Post:

Allegations of a vicious dog fighting ring promoted an unusually emotional speech in the Capitol yesterday, as the SenateÂs longest-serving member fought tears and called for GodÂs judgment on those who promote such activities.

"Barbaric," Sen. Robert C. Byrd )D-W.VA) shouted four times in a Senate chamber that was mostly empty except for two dozen somewhat startled tourists.

"Let that word resound from hill to hill and from mountain to mountain, from valley to valley across this broad land," he thundered, raising his right hand. "May God help those poor souls who would be so cruel. Barbaric! Hear me!"

Federal agents have charged Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick and three others with procuring and training pit bulls for fighting in Virginia and elsewhere. Investigators say some losing dogs died in the pit or were later electrocuted, drowned, hanged or shot.

Byrd, 89, said he would not prejudge the menÂs guilt or innocence, but he left no doubts about his sentiments.

"I am confident that the hottest places in hell are reserved for the souls of sick and brutal people who hold GodÂs creatures in such brutal and cruel contempt," he said.

"One if left wondering," he said. Who are the real animals: the creatures inside or outside the ring?"

When he finished, Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D.Mass.), who sometimes brings his Portuguese water dogs to work, said: "Great speech, Bob." As Byrd left the chamber, a Senate page and television reporter shook his hand and thanked him, and the young woman had her photo taken with him.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner