SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mouser414

Alternatives to euthanasia for cat with aggression and urinates

mouser414
11 years ago

My wife and I have a five year old cat. She is healthy. She has long been aggressive with most people, including myself. The cat is aggressive with visitors and has not warmed up to me in the four years she's known me or the year during which we've lived under the same room. She has a strong bond with my wife though.

The cat has gone through periods of urinating inside. She first did this 15 months ago to our knowledge at my wife's apartment. We believe this went on for at least a few weeks with regularity. She urinated at my apartment during a 3 week period before my wife and I moved in together. About a year went by before she, again, began urinating in our current apartment.

We have tried a lot of things to deal with both the aggression and urinating. We recognize that these behaviors are likely related. We have tried me feeding her treats, giving her my clothing with my 'scent' on it to use as bedding, prozac, all types of litter and litter box combos, etc, etc.

We don't feel that we can keep her, with urinating being the major issue - we can't continue to have the cat peeing on our landlord's wood floors and likely subjecting our downstairs neighbors to the strong odor of cat urine.

With the behavior issues, and more so the urination issues, we don't believe she can be rehomed.

My wife is resigned to euthanasia. I'm hoping there may be an alternative.

What alternatives ideas do you have?

Comments (4)

Sponsored