Return to the Pet Debates Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hunting Tame Animals?

Posted by sheltiemom (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 07 at 10:49

Did anyone notice the latest "update" on the story about the kid who shot a huge "wild hog"? Turns out the "wild hog" was hand-raised and was recently sold - to a game farm. Then, "hunted" and killed. Guess the hog was too big for the original owners (who obviously let him get that big) and had no value for them than to sell him to the only bidder. Once the new owner "released" the hog, it was immediately classified as feral.

I'm interested in viewpoints about this legal practice of hunting tame animals. I know this happens to animals all the time. They out-live their original purpose, (whether it be too old to be a zoo exhibit, not performing correctly for a circus, not good for meat slaughter, etc.) and are then sold to game farms and "hunted."

Please know I'm not interested in viewpoints about hunting in general. I'm not against hunters who hunt wild animals and who use the meat they get. I am, however, suspect of people who pay to hunt an animal who has no chance, is usually within a fenced area and has very little fear of humans.

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hunting Tame Animals?

Killing a tame/domesticated animal in an enclosure is slaughter not hunting.

Similar to a the slaughter of beef or pork...

o

That is not hunting....that is simply killing. Wrong on all counts....but especially in this case where a young child was the one being taught that killing a tame animal just to get your name in the paper is perfectly OK. That makes me sick.

o

I can't say as that I see the "sport" in hunting an animal like that. As Sheltie Mom said I'm not against anyone hunting when the animal is used for food instead of a trophy. I don't quite understand what you mean tho by the original owner letting him get that big. There are breeds of hogs that routinely grow to 800-1000 pounds or more if they live to adulthood. I do think that the owners selling him to that place to be hunted is equally as disgusting as the people hunting him.

Lisa

o

Poor Fred was a pet. From what I read, he loved to be hand-fed sweet potatoes. He wasn't a danger to anyone. I also find it troubling that this kid was allowed to take several hours and 8 or 9 shots to kill Fred. From what I've heard, hunting ethics dictate a clean, fast kill. And I am also disgusted by Fred's former owner who, according to the article below said: "... the pig was too big and needed killing". What the heck is that supposed to mean?? Once an animal gets bigger than you want it to, it needs to be killed??

Here is a link that might be useful: Fred the tame pig

o

I don't understand how hunters are so proud of themselves... did the poor animal have a gun or weapon? I do still eat meat so I can't condemn hunters too strongly, but I know I couldn't do it myself. I think that people who kill tame animals or kill them just for "fun" (not for food) should be punished severly. I know a poster on this forum has been attacked (rightly so) for killing cats that come into his yard. Don't understand how some people think that it is okay to kill things that they think are inferior just because it makes them feel better. Yuck!

o

Canned hunts are not hunting and are cowardly and lazy. I'm not a hunter but live in the mountains where the hogs and deer are hunted. They aren't so easy to get if they are really hunted. I work in a feed store where a man came in and asked what do deer like I sold him corn oats and barley with molasses and a salt block. There are alot of people who feed deer because they like seeing them and watch the fawns grow up. I started loading the feed in his truck and had a funny feeling about it. Just before he left I told him its illegal to bait deer. The look on his face told it all.

o

Hunting within the legal seasons as a way of controlling the herds of wild animals and saving them from starvation is quite different from shooting a tame, hand-feed animal. I don't know how anyone can call that hunting. It's not even humane slaughter for meat. This situation teaches that young man nothing of value and it makes me sick to learn the true facts.

o

Canned hunts are disgusting. Encouraging a small child to spend hours shooting at a tame former pet is disgusting.

o

I dont think I was ever "attacked" for shooting those stray cays which were damaging my property!? Some one merely had a different view on the subject and expressed it. A couple more need to go soon, the neighbor boy has pledged to take care of them. protectiung property is not at all the same as hunting for food or shooting animals in caged hunts.

o

Buyorsell, my sentiments exactly. Shame on the parents and shame on the owners.

o

This incident was not hunting, and any boar/hog hunter would have known upon sight of the animal that it was not wild. It was obvious that he'd been fed. The whole thing got me PO'ed.

o

Yeah, it takes a "real Man' or "some kind of woman" who need to kill a tame or penned animal to feel important. Case in point.. the guy named Gentry of the country duo of Montgomery Gentry, paid to kill a bear that had been raised as a pet. I read he is an abid trophy hunter and had a lot of his victims stuffed and mounted in his "trophy room" I wonder how many of these animals were eaten by him?????

o

That is not hunting....that is simply killing. Wrong on all counts....but especially in this case where a young child was the one being taught that killing a tame animal just to get your name in the paper is perfectly OK. That makes me sick.

Exactly. I've seen videos of even worse than that, though. Big African cats chained up, and shot while on their chains. For a fee. To me that's just murder.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pet Debates Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here