SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
archimedes_gw

The 'first bite free' law

archimedes
16 years ago

There was a story here a few days ago about a woman who suffered a dog bite to the face. She was upset because the dog was returned to the owner and not charged with anything because of the Âfirst bite free law.

There's a link to the story. I hope it works because I'm new to this link stuff.

As the story goes, she went across the street to her neighbors for some reason and saw his dog and asked to pet him. The owner said OK.

The dog was in the back of his pick-up and when she went to pet him, thatÂs when the dog bit her on the face.

She doesnÂt like the fact that the owner doesnÂt have to pay because of the law and sheÂs got a scar for life. IÂm not sure if she just wants to bring this to peoples attention or if she wants the law removed to protect people from going through what she did.

IÂm with the owner. ItÂs not his or the dogs fault, he was just acting like a dog. When she reached up, the dog must of not like the fact that she was invading his personal space and reacted like a dog would. A quick snap to let you know that you are doing something he doesnÂt appreciate.

The law I think is fair. ThereÂs probably a case now and again in which the animal does attacks just because it feels like it or itÂs the owners fault and gets the first bite free card. But I would like to think thatÂs the exception and not the rule.

People have to remember that animals are animals and you canÂt always predict, just like people, how they are going to react in every situation. DoesnÂt anyone use common sense any more?

---- Archie

Here is a link that might be useful: news video of story

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions