Return to the Pet Debates Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to put baby bunny?

Posted by bunsaver (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 07 at 22:00

I found a baby bunny that was left from a nest that my dog destroyed. my girlfriends little brother has been taking care of it for about a week now and its doing just fine it seems. its eyes just opened the other day and it is eating replacement milk and pooping. Today we found a baby bunny nest that seems to have little bunnies the around the same age. Anyone know if its ok to put our bunny with the new bunny nest?? THANKS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to put baby bunny?

i found a young bunny once after a big storm, he was half dead. I took him home and cared for him for a few days and then started calling around to vets to get a check up. In my area there are only certain vets that will deal with wild animals.

Anyways, the vet I found refferred me to a rehab and sancturary for wild animals. They try to rehabilitate the animal to be released into the wild and if it can't be they keep it on their property with others of their species and age. The bunny had a bad eye infection and went blind in one eye so he was kept on their site.

Years later my husband hit a racoon, didn't actually run over it with the tires - just went under the center of the truck. He picked up the racoon and brought it home. We kept it in a kennel for the night and contacted the same rehab the next day. They rehabilitated the guy in two weeks and released him in a safer area.

Perhaps if you call around to vets in your area you could find something like this?

Or maybe if you contact my local org. they can refer you to someone in your area? (link below)

Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tucson Wildlife Rehab

o

I would probably see if you can find a local wildlife rehabilitation center in your area first.

If you don't have such a resource, you could try to reintroduce the bunny into the other nest, but if its less than two weeks old, its still relying on milk and I doubt another Mom would let it nurse. IF you did put it in the other nest, I would keep a close eye on it to make sure it doesn't starve or get kicked out.

I think putting it in that nest is probably better than feeding it and releasing on its own.

o

Just for your info.....By the time a baby bunny is 3 weeks old, it is pushed out of the nest and on it's own, if this gives you any help.

o

Call your vet for a rehab facility. I don't know about your area but it is against the law in ours to keep wildlife. Some vets here have vets or staff members that are certified as wildlife rehabilitators (something like that) that are allowed to tend to wildlife that is sick or injured.
It is difficult to raise a wild baby bunny and most of them don't make it unless they receive proper care and nutrition. For best interest of bunny, seek out a rehab facility asap, GOOD LUCK :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pet Debates Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here