SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizrvt

Vet prices in perspective

LizRVT
10 years ago

So many people whine and complain about the cost of veterinary medicine. So, I thought I'd let you know a few things. My totally normal labor and delivery cost $30,000!!!!!!!!! My daughter's one-year check up with vaccines and quick blood iron level cost $720!!!!!
The average vet just out of school makes about $35,000-$40,000 in California. The average Registered Veterinary Technician in California makes $13-$18/hour. These techs administer and monitor anesthesia, suture, clean teeth, extract teeth, administer vaccines, perform CPR, place IVs, draw blood, etc. RVTs have to have an AA degree and take a state board exam.
So, next time someone feels the need to yell at the techs and receptionists about costs, please think twice. You're yelling at someone who, more than likely, makes less than you do. They don't make the prices, they can't change the prices. I'm sure they would all love to be able to make all medical decisions without thinking about money, but that is not the reality we live in. If all pets had insurance, more could be done, but that's not possible today.
If my dog were to get a general exam and vaccines, it would cost me about $100...not nearly the $720 as in human medicine.
So, all I'm trying to say is MOST vets are not "in it for the money" like I hear so many people say. Are there bad vets, of course. Same as any line of work, humans are not always honest.
I'd say 90% of people in vet med are renting their homes because they can't afford to own, are living with roommates or have a spouse that supports them.
It's always your choice what you do with your pets, don't get mad at the staff because you were offered "Plan A". That's the best medicine, if you can't afford it, there's usually a plan B, C and sometimes D. Veterinary personnel are here for you and your pet, please treat them with respect.
Thank you

Comments (9)

Sponsored