SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimeryl

Chickens in the City

kimeryl
16 years ago

Hi everyone, I could use some advice. I know that the urban chicken thing is hip and it totally fits my sensibility as far as "buying" local and controlling our own food source, but...

We have (bad) neighbors next door and I found out that they plan to come to us to ask our permission to have chickens. Their lot is right next to ours and the lots are not huge, typical city lots for Minneapolis. I guess they are required to get approval from 80% of the people living within 100 feet of their house, so that could mean 3 or 4 households including us.

Anybody know the down side? Racket beyond the normal dog bark sort of level? Messy? The guy is borderline nuts, very aggressive and every time he talks to me he tries to bully me rather than just ask for reasonable favors. I've been really decent to them, but he's just one of those bristly souls who's life isn't going the way he planned.

Short of just giving him a dose of his own medicine and refusing to allow it, I want to make sure that I'm educated about the pros and cons. Any opinions and/or experiences would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Comments (20)

Sponsored