Return to the Pet Debates Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why are dog owners such idiots?

Posted by spammypam (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 08 at 18:47

I just can't get over how many people now own dogs. Dogs seem to be either fashion assesories or substitutes for children. I am sick of people who walk their dogs, allowing the dog to pee and poop on my property. Often, they don't even pick it up, but even if they do...it's my yard/garden and I don't want dogs there. When did trespassing become OK? The dog owners that I have confronted has been very rude to me. I get questions like...where is he supposed to go? My answer...your property, not mine, nor public property, unless dogs are specifically allowed.

I am sick of dog owner's self serving, lazy, privileged attitudes and their percieved rights. What about my rights to keep you off my property?

The world would be a better place if undeserving people did not have pets.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why are dog owners such idiots?

Wow, bitter?

I agree that if you don't want dogs on your property that they shouldn't be there. And when I walk my dog, I always make sure he goes in my yard before we start. The only time I let him walk in someone's yard is if there is a car coming and I need to get off the road. And then we step into the grass and I make him sit until the car has passed and then we continue back to the street (we don't have sidewalks in my neighborhood). But come on, if they're picking up after the dog, is it really that big of an issue that you have to be so fired up and start calling people "self serving, lazy, privileged attitudes..." not to mention, "idiots"? Fence off your property if it's that big a deal to you. Do you shoot stray cats or deer or squirrels for crapping in your yard?

o

Hey- I have dogs and I still do not appreciate neighbors letting their animals pee on my mailbox or landscaping. One of my neighbors walks his dog on a Flexi leash that is long enough to allow the dog to pee on my porch. I have several times made sure he sees me go out and wash it down.

I am the new neighbor in an older, very well established neighborhood and I hate to start things off crabbing at dogwalkers. But jeez... the climate surrounding dogs is getting worse and worse, and IMO owners need to start paying closer attention and supervising their dogs better.

There is no way I would ever allow one of mine to use a neighbors yard for a potty spot. And in the odd cases where it has accidently happened I always pick up solids and have driven back with jugs of water to wash in any urine.

I try and go out of my way to prove to folks that there are dog owners with a sense of responsibility and respect for others property, but I am in the minority. It's a shame, and all dog owners are going to pay the price for the lazy folks among us when we all get restricted out of owning them.

If you own a dog- please, please, please step up and take care of any inadvertant messes they make. Teach them to potty at home before the walk starts and take 100% responsibility for your dogs actions. We are all depending on each other here to see that the bad rap on dogs gets eliminated. Other countries can do it and so should we.

o

Check with the local authorities about the laws in effect for dog walking/relieving themselves. Very often there are laws requiring owners to pick up leavings and prohibiting peeing on property.

Armed with the laws---and a camera---you can be quite successful at curbing dogs and their owners.(Pun intended.)

o

Well there is your private property and then there is right of way.

People have a right to walk their dogs in the public right of way. Though I agree that they shouldn't be allowing their dogs to poop just anywhere and they should be picking up after them.

If you don't want people or dogs on your property, then put up a fence...or get one these signs:

Here is a link that might be useful: Yard sign

o

Wow, this was an interesting one for me. I consider myself to be a very responsible dog owner and always pick up after my dog. However, I have never really thought it was a big deal if she should pee on the corner of someone's property. It's not as if I walk her into their property, but if she's on the sidewalk and stops to sniff something off to the side, she sometimes drops a little bit of piddle and I don't really know how I would control that. Now I worry that neighbors have been, well, pissed and I never knew it. I will try to get her to go in our yard before we leave, but that can be a challenge because they don't always go because they have to, sometimes they're marking a bit of territory. It happens pretty fast, I'm not sure how controllable it is. So, please at least don't think we're all idiots and want to destroy your property.

o

So, the undeserving people would be . . . anyone who has a dog that has gone on your property? And the deserving people would be . . . anyone who doesn't live near you?

Wow. You must be an incredible neighbor to have never made a mistake or erred in any way in your neighborhood. Wish I lived next to you. I'm sure you make the world a much better and happier place in which to live.

o

I am not a dog owner or a dog lover -- but what is the big deal if the dog takes a dump on your lawn and the owner immediately picks it up? We have some sort of scottie looking dog down the street who my kids love -- the owner allows the dog to do its business between the sidewalk and the street (I believe that is the "public right of way" even though we have the pleasure of mowing it).

I really don't care but I do know a guy on my street that objects to it.

o

I have three large dogs, all females.

Here is what really annoys me about what other people allow their dogs to do. I am constantly reminding myself that its the fault of the human who owns the dog, not that of the dog. Not everyone sees it that way especially if you hate them.

Poop on my lawn and not pick it up.

Pee on my lawn.

Constant, unsupervised barking.

Walking without a leash, even though county law requires it.

Dogs who constantly escape from their fenced in yard.

People who don't take the time to teach at least THREE commands (SIT, HERE & NO).

People who think they know how to own/treat a dog, but have no clue that they are complete idiots (in this and other departments), WONT LISTEN to common sense complaints, and are doing it completely wrong UNTIL they have an officer dispatched to their front door from animal control.

I keep thinking, if these things annoy me with my three large creatures, it must really hit a raw nerve with people who don't like dogs.

Yes, I have had a few mistakes along our walking route, but again, only a few that fall under the category of "accident". I am forever aware that there are lots of people out there who just don't like dogs and also lots who are terrified by them, especially mine.

Just a thought.

SG

o

I wish someone would do something about people who own children....at least they don't poop on my lawn, yet.

o

And why are cat owners such idiots? Why on earth would they think I want their cat pooping/peeing in my yard, or leaving the dead animals they have killed in my yard for my kids to find? If you have a cat, keep it inside or on a leash!

I am ready to get a paint ball gun and send the cats home well splattered with green and orange paint marks!

Alexa

o

I wish someone would do something about people who own children....at least they don't poop on my lawn, yet.

I just love when one someone complains about dogs, someone always brings up children.

o

This post reminds me of the time when I didn't have enough bags on my walk...

Our usual routine is to get the dogs to do their business in the yard, before we go on our walk. And they know this, so they are pretty quick. When we follow this routine, I rarely have to pick up anything while walking, but I always have a couple bags in my pocket for just in case.

Well one particular weekend, my parents were visiting. I didn't know that my dad had been feeding my dog hot dogs periodically throughout the day. When it came time for business in the yard, she complied. We went for our walk and I was surprised that she had to go again. And as we continued to walk, she was started to experience some intestinal distress from all the hot dogs. It wasn't pretty, I didn't have enough bags to take care of the entire mess and I knew nothing about the hot dogs.

I was worried and when we finally got home, I distressed, the dog was distressed. We were just about in the car on the way to the vet, when my dad fessed up about the hot dogs.

o

Huuuum...well I've never thought about my dog weeing in someone's yard if I'm walking them along a neighborhood sidewalk?!?! Although I have no dog right now, I have had dogs for most of my life and I only had one drug addicted crazy man say anything about my dog weeing in the yard but that was because he was so stoned he thought she was pooing! He hollored at me "don't you let your GD dog cr*p in my yard!" I was scared to death!!!!!! I just knew I was fixing to get shot!

I don't see a problem as long as they pick up the poo immediately and the dog is not peeing on your plants and it's just grass and not let them come up to your house! I mean that's one of the wonderful things of having a dog is to have a walking buddy. JEEZ! Now I currently live in an apartment that allows dogs...well let's just say it's a good thing you don't live here...because NO ONE picks up after their dogs. Sometimes people even let them poo on the sidewalks! It's so crazy, these people will be evicted or/and lose their dogs but anything except for pick up the poo. It's unbelievable! I'm watching a girl today moving out because she was evicted for not picking up the poo and a neighbor turned her in! She was given many warnings! We've all just about had it was tracking in dog poo into the apartment building! OH and people letting their dogs poo right outside of our windows so when we open them it smells like cr*p!

o

About 4 years ago I decided to plant a costly ornamental tree about 15' from the sidewalk. I started to notice almost every dog walked by my house was peeing on this expensive tree....I was wondering after a year why it was doing so poorly. I did happen to be out front a few times and asked the owner to please not let your dog pee on it any more, its killing my tree. He said dog was probably doing it because he smelled scent of another dog...I told him I don't have a dog, must be other peoples dogs. I put up a sign to ask people to stop allowing dog to do this...still happened. I had to put up a picket fence around tree, tree doing much better. I had a neighbor that had one tree in back yard and a dog, tree died, so did a few replacements so don't try to tell me that a dogs pee won't kill it. Don't get me wrong, I really love dogs, just too much for me to care for. Both my sisters and alot of my friends own big dogs and I love them all.

o

When I first posted I was very ticked off and later thought that my post was perhaps too strong. However, after reading a few of the comments here, I have to admit that I have not changed my mind. Here's why:

It is a big deal to me. When one dog "marks" my property, then every other dog that passes by wants to do the same.

There is no special easement for dogs. My property is not a right of way.

I should not have to put up a fence to keep dogs and their owners out of my yard. If a dog owner really needs a physical boundary to show them where they should not trespass, then they really are idiots.

Dog pee kills grass, plants and trees. Dog poop contains disease and pollutes our ground and waterways.

It's not the dogs I dislike...it's their owners.

P.S. Since strays and wild animals are not attached to a leash held by a human, I don't usually get ticked off by their presence. I don't believe in guns, but if it were dog owner hunting season, I might reconsider.

o

You have a valid gripe SpammyPam. I would be ticked off too.

I have a dog that likes to mark every blade of grass. When we go for walks it's down the middle of the street. My other two don't do that.

I have a fence around my front yard. I've found dog dropping on my sidewalk. Several times I found they cleaned up but left the bag. If I could only catch them, I give them a piece of my mind!

o

spammypam,

I only pose one question for you. Is your state a "fence in" state or a "fence out" state? Where I live, in Wyoming, it's a "fence out" state. Meaning that I don't build a fence to keep my critters in...I build it to keep other critters out. In many states there actually is a law.

I don't like dogs pooping on my lawn either. Peeing I don't see as a situation that a dog owner can really control. If "Fido" decides, mid walk, to cut loose with a stream of urine, it's not like the dog owner can stop him. Poop needs to be picked up immediately.

If you're that sensitive about it post the lawn or put up a fence. It solved many of our problems with people allowing dogs to poo on our lawn. Also, Animal Control is always available to issue citations for failure to clean up deposits. Most cities have laws that can be applied.

Rene

o

Many people do not train their dogs.

Anyone who thinks a dog must go whenever they want to is mistaken. Do you think show dogs just mark or squat in the show ring or agility pen or wherever? No, they are trained to relieve themselves in certain areas of the grounds on command.

Years ago my grandparents lived in a retirement community that had a special area in back for dogs to be walked to to go that had bags provided and a scoop and trash can. Every dog in the park knew that they had to wait until they got there to go. There were big fines if you let your dog go anywhere else.

I think dog walking is wonderful and enjoy seeing the walkers go by but not when the owners have no control or are using those retractable leads and letting the dogs up into people's yards or letting them mark and go all over.

My street has no sidewalks and my garden goes all the way to the curb. Anyone walking by can tell that I've spent thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours working on it and should not be allowing their dogs to mark or push through the minimum six foot wide garden beds up to the lawn to defecate. Yet some people do. I have broken shrubs every year.

I do think many people with dogs (and children) don't provide structure, rules or discipline and just let them run wild. It is sad.

o

buyorsell888 is right - dogs can be trained to go potty in appropriate places at appropriate times. Unless they are sick of course. Someone mentioned having their dogs go potty BEFORE walkies around the neighborhood. That's what I do too. If we're walking in the neighborhood and my dog starts to wander onto someone's lawn, I DON'T ALLOW it - I pull him back to the sidewalk.

Some folks don't understand about dog-marking. Males do it, females do it, neutered dogs do it. My dog LOVES to do it. Given the chance, he will mark every vertical object and on top of every other dog's scent. (I call this reading and replying to Pee-mail). People think their dog is peeing, and peeing.... and peeing! I don't allow him to do it or we will never be able to take a walk. The retractable leash is kept taut and he walks.

Dogs can be trained to do or not to do all kinds of things.

o

We aren't idiots and I resent being called that.

How about irresponsible dog owners?

I agree there are lots that don't pick up after their dogs. I see that all the time as they ignore their dog pooping or they watch and then move on.

My dad and I take our dog walking and I can't stop our dog from peeing on someone's property, a bush or even garbage can, they do it so fast. I try but its not always possible.
We do clean up after our dog all the time, my dad carries bags. One of our local parks now has just for dogs, wastebaskets and above them doggie dodo bags and my dad grabs them and we use them and dump them in them

We can't stop him from doing on lawns,etc. when we are in those areas but again we clean up after him.

I agree if you have a problem, put up a fence then in your yard.

I wouldn't want to be your neighbour.

As for cats, good grief, we are cat owners too and sorry, but they do go in gardens, again we can't stop them. They do that in our garden and my dad just says they are putting manure in our garden where they go.

o

I just found this forum, and this is the first thread I have responded to.
Kathleen, you might be under the impression that putting up a fence is a pretty simple and perhaps inexpensive thing to do. It is not. And besides, nobody should have to fence off a lawn because pet owners (or uncaring parents, for that matter) are allowing the creatures they took responsibility for are running at large. The expense and upkeep of fences are too much for some people, and for others they might find it un-neighborly.

And as for your cat running loose, I have neighbors with the same attitude.
Kathleen, you can stop your cat from going in gardens. Contrary to what I am assuming you believe, it is not good for the cat nor is it natural to let it run loose. It is cruel to the cat and to the fledgling birds who are trying to get a start in life. This is a domesticated animal, not a fend-for-yourself wild creature. Seeing a cat plastered to the road or suffering from poisoning that some vicious person has left out does not convince me that this was a well cared for or loved pet.
Last of all, the manure of cats (or dogs) is not beneficial to the garden. Nor is it a wonderful thing to realize it has been on the bottom of your shoes after you have just rushed into the house to answer the phone.
I didn't mean to pile on you, Kathleen, but you were the most recent post, and I felt it was necessary to make a few points.

o

I have a neighbor who smokes and throws her cigarette butts and empty packs on my driveway and my lawn (also empties her car ashtrays at the base of my mailbox) as she drives by my place on her way to work. It's been going on for 10 years. Her husband is a cop--not much use in complaining there.

I found another neighbor's teenage daughter and her boyfriend being 'overly friendly', on, of all things, my mound septic system... A weird place for romance, to say the least.

Then there are all the people who throw their garbage out as they drive by--my first task of the morning is grabbing my trashbag and walking the outer yard and ditches to pick up anything and everything, including used condoms.

For me, a pile of dog poop would be a big improvement. Want to trade neighbors?

kms

o

Your neighbors sound horrid.
However, the cop's wife is breaking the law, and even cops should abide by the laws. Maybe he doesn't know his slob of a wife is littering your yard.
If the kids are still physically attracted to your septic mound, keep a hose handy. I would be thrilled to break that up.

o

I too have a dog who is trained to potty at home on the terrace (basically cement) since we moved from our larger house. Since arriving in Las Vegas, to stay with my parents, I have watched people literally "drive" their dogs (discreetly parking around the corner)to my parents corner lot to "potty" on what used to be a lovely green lawn. They come from all over the neighborhood - I guess their dogs are too good to poop on stone or their own terraces.

We were unable to let my child play in the grass, as even if you pick it up there is still nasty residue left. They look you in eye as if it is their right and visibly get irritated at my dog barking at them from the patio. One even told me she didn't have grass at her house - so???!

So they have a dog, buy a house with no grass, then come to our house where we pay maintenance, water etc so their dogs can come and trash it and that's legal?????????????

Horrible people!!

o

I'd replace that front lawn with decomposed granite and plant a new one in the back yard which is likely surrounded by a block wall. What a PITA. You could plant a nice thorny hedge around the edges. Bougainvillea, natal plum, citrus, and roses all have nasty thorns.....and will grow in Las Vegas.

Driving your dog to use your neighbor's lawn as a toilet, now I've heard everything....

o

Wow, that is awful. I guess that is one more reason not to grow grass in the dessert.

I'd put up a sign... no dog doo doo!

My best friend struggles with cat poo on her patio plantings. She is severely allergic to cats. And she has a compromised immune system. And she is constantly battling her neighbors cats, who think that her patio landscaping is a litter box.

Here is a link that might be useful: don't doo doo sign

o

Many people are pet collectors, not owners... owning something implies that you take some semblance of responsibility for it!

Idiot dog owners who allow their animals to urinate and defecate on others' property really get my dander up, no pun intended!

I've been breeding bulldogs for over 25 years, and within that span of time have had many personal dogs... all were, and are, obedience trained and have been taught "pet manners"... I would NEVER allow my dogs to squat or lift a leg on property belonging to someone else!

To do so is just plain rude, not to mention completely irresponsible! It's also a very good way to spread disease and worms to other animals! Children CAN get some types of worms... pin worms, for example...

If you don't possess a yard for your dog to eliminate and exercise in, you shouldn't have a dog!!

o

I don't own a dog, but I don't begrudge dog walkers from making a potty stop at my mailbox or plants. In the grand scheme of things it does not upset me. However, if they do #2 I do expect the dog owner to scoop it. This is not so much a problem at my house but at my lake cabin it can be a real headache.

Our lake cabin is on a public access where fishermen (people) park their vehicles and launch their boats. A majority of them bring at least one dog. At some point during the day they will bring their boats in for a quick potty stop which sometimes includes #2. It is rare to see any of them scoop!

I'm not always there to witness it, but believe me, when I cut the lawn or arrive on a Friday night I have several piles of evidence.

When I have seen a dog doing the poopy-dance on my property I generally open the door and remind the owner to please take it when they leave. One rude guy said xxxx you! So, happily I remembered which vehicle was his. After he took off on his boat I deposited the sh*t under the drivers seat of his car.

Again, I'm not a dog hater. Far from it. Nature calls. But the owner should be responsible for every aspect of their charge.

o

I would have done the same thing... that's so funny!

When I pack up my dog's travel items, I include plenty of baggies to pick up poop with. When we stop at rest areas, I always use the designated pet area, and I always clean up after my dogs. It's really easy to do, and I can't figure out why it's so difficult for some people... insert hand in bag, wrap fingers around pile, lift, turn bag inside out, and deposit in trash can... how hard is that?

There's nothing worse than stepping in a fresh pile left behind by an inconsiderate pet owner!

o

Useally in a debate over anything you know you've won, when the idiots fall silent. Or just give up.

The most insane dog owner award I've met goes to my moms friend a 70+ year old dieabetic thats wheelchair bound, she keeps, either illegally or legally, (I'm not kidding!) A wolf dog! This exotic hybred dog weighs 170 lbs and has to be muzzled when delt with physically ,it is a dangerous animal, she feeds him pretty poorly too.

I've seen the dog and seriously it looks like something out of a james bond movie!. She does keep it locked up when guests are over but such a dog needs a strong professional hand and curtainily doesn't belong with an elderly woman.

o

What good is a watchdog that needs to be locked away when guests come over? The majority of attackers are known by their victims...

15 minutes a day, a few days a week... is all it takes to instill good manners in a family dog. Their job is to watch my back, and if they're locked in a room away from company, how can they help if I need it? I've never understood how people can put up with unruly animals...

If that woman's dog is not being cared for, perhaps the authorities should be notified... just saying...

o

She was careful though,kept wolf dog locked away from us in backyard during our visit- however the dog nearly attacked her son once, her small dog stopped it.
She must muzzle the dog when treating his ear mites, she found the animal as a stray 4 week old pup in a ditch, she lives way out in the forest, perfect settings for such a hybred to be spawned, From what I hear a Vet told her it was a wolf cross and needed to be PTS for everyones safety she refused, people have told her its a bad idea but she don't listion.

o

Gina - I wish more dog owners were like you! Thank you!

Sheryl

o

The OP would love my father's dog. We call him "poop-shy". He will only poop in his own back yard. When i dogsit while they're on vacation, he will not poop for 5 days. If i take him home to HIS yard, he will.

I still carry the bag when I walk him, that way I don't get dirty looks from people, but I know there's nothing coming out of that dog.

o

How can a 170 pound wolf hybrid be fed poorly?

o

I'm glad to see people bothering to walk their dogs. Many dog owners don't.

Dogs have to defecate and urinate, they are just built that way.

If the walker picks up the feces after his dog, no sweat. The dog had to go? Then for pete's sake, let him go and let it go. If you make some friendly comment about the dog, you very well might make two new friends and nobody can have too many of those.

If the dog urinates, well, that is part of the price of living with other people. Their pets pee and sometimes has to do it right at the spot where your grass starts and sometimes it will leave a mark which will turn that small patch of grass yellow.

We don't want our pets defecating or urinating in our homes, so it seems to me that we can't get too picky about which handy toilet they use outdoors -after all, they are animals and the whole outdoors IS their toilet. As long as we pick up the feces, it has to be ok. There is no flush handle outdoors.

Or, as suggested - build a fence that prevents the dog from squatting on your property, if the neighborhood allows for that. Mine doesn't, not in the front of our property.

If you want to live in a neighborhood, you have to be willing for a little give and take. A dog urinating on your grass seems awfully small beans compared to the problems you could be having and probably will, over time.

o
leash control

I'd like to add that this post is made under the assumption that of course, the dog owners always have a leash on their dog. Dogs and cats should never have the run of any neighborhood and should be turned into animal control if they do.

o

I am a dog lover but as I read thru these posts I truly do believe that the sense of entitlement and nonacceptance of our own responsibilities has not been more evident than it is right here.

A homeowner who takes pride in her property is angry because other people are walking dogs and permitting them to use her property as a bathroom and SHE is to spend money to put up a fence. To me, that is ridiculous. This is not her problem to rectify, those walking the dogs should have the common sense and respect for another's property to curb their dogs.

Over the weekend we were at a huge market area, there were dogs everywhere, sorry, leave the dogs at home. I nearly tripped because of a leash, the owner never said a word. One guy ignored a sign on the door that said Only Service Dogs Permitted....the owner tossed him out of the store. These are food stores! Animals are not permitted! Geez.

o

What I don't like is when someone owns a breed of dog that naturally attracts attention. I recently saw a woman with an English Mastiff that was still a puppy but weighed about 165 lbs. She had zero control over this animal. He was wearing a thin nylon collar that looked more suitable for a Poodle, and she kept asking her daughter (she was maybe 12) to help her restrain him. The dog was waving his tail in everyone's faces and kept coming toward mine and the only comments the woman kept making was "Ohhhhh, he knows you have a female there, he can smell it!"

Just because you think your dog is cute doesn't mean everyone else does, and you may choose not to have your animal spayed or neutered, but control it. If you bring said animal to see the vet, maybe you should wait outside instead of making everyone in the waiting room hold their animals up from your animal.

o

I just read these posts and I find them interesting.

The OP is obviously a person who has a very nice piece of property and demands everybody stay away. To me, she's every bit as inconsiderate as some of the dog owners. If a dog poops and it is picked up right away, there is ZERO chance any "bacteria" will do any harm.

So a dog pees. Unless she lives in a community where there are dozens of dogs going in the same spot on her lawn, there will be no damage to the lawn. Yes, a female dog's urine can kill grass, but there has to be a lot in the same place.

Get a grip lady!

I have two dogs. One is a Chow Chow and she goes on MY property before we go for a walk. But where I live that really makes no difference since we live at the end of a dirt road in Vermont. To us, friendly neighbors are FAR more important than some pee.

o

Just some info.

Squirrels poop in her yard,
Chipmunks poop in her yard,
Mice poop in her yard,
Rabbits poop in her yard,
Birds poop in her yard,
CATS poop in her yard!

It's called life.

o

I agree. It's quite rude for dog owners to allow their dogs to use your property as a toilet. Even if they pick it up.

I make sure my dogs go potty in an appropriate place before we go on our walks. I don't live in an urban environment so this is quite easy for us. I can't speak as to how easy it might be if we lived in an apartment complex.

Even with that being the case, dogs aren't robots and they might just have to go potty again. It happens. Especially since movement also induced movement of the digestive system. Since many dogs won't go on concrete, they would pick a lawn. So it has happened on occasion that we have slip ups as we're passing a neighbor's house. I'll call them off but if they can't hold it, they go. Then I pick it up. We don't make a habit of this. But what could I possibly do to prevent the occasional slip up?

Granted, that probably isn't what the OP is experiencing, at least not most of the time.

People are inconsiderate. You find dogs using your property as a nuisance while I find free roaming cats using my property as a bathroom (and more) a problem.

It's your lawn that you obviously don't want used as a toilet. I don't see why you shouldn't be entitled to this. I don't see why you should be out the money for a fence to prevent this. That just sucks. Have you tried a sign asking people to keep their dogs off the grass? Or a sign that says something like, "Smile. You're on camera"?

o

If you don't care about neighbor relations, you could sit on your porch with a hose and spray the dogs and owners who stop to let their dogs relieve themselves.

o

Check the laws then take their picture. If they get smart with you, tell them you just wanted proof. In my city of 360,000 people there is no trespassing law. Anyone can walk through my yard and even climb over my fence, but if they break that fence or cause any damage, that is criminal trespassing. That is against the law. I don't mind dogs using my yard if the owner picks up the poop. I would mind if they let the dog come up and pee on my porch, that is ridiculous. My husband and I were in the basement playing pool and someone walked by and let their dog poop in the yard and they didn't pick up. He banged on the window and told them to keep the dog out of our yard. He felt really bad when he found out it was the new neighbor who had just moved in. LOL

o

I cant understand why people cannot accept people that do not care for animals in their house. We have friends that have three big dogs in their nice new house. We have communicated to them we do not like the dogs barking sniffing and trying to get in our lap when we visit. If they would just put the dogs in another room when we visit. All we hear from them is how cute and lovable there dogs are and weird we for not liking them. I think pet owners are humanizing animals and ignoring humans more than ever.

o

It's her property, no one else's business.

"Just some info.
Squirrels poop in her yard,
Chipmunks poop in her yard,
Mice poop in her yard,
Rabbits poop in her yard,
Birds poop in her yard,
CATS poop in her yard!
It's called life. "

I never notice that stuff but when the dogs repeatedly come through an area and bowel movements are scattered all around, you're stepping in human size feces. It's just not necessary.

o

I think there is quite bit of difference between a dog doing No. 1 and No. 2. Local code says you must pick up when your dog poops on someone yard. No problem, I agree. At least most of the time. But what if your dog has a very runny deposit? In that case, a disposable glove and plastic bag won't improve things much. At one point I carried a plastic bottle of sawdust to sprinkle. Non-woodworkers might sub some shredded leaf material.

But what a about a dog urinating on someone lawn? Not against code that I can tell.

A guy once berated me for letting my dog tinkle on a plant one foot from the road. This was a non-blooming broadleaf plant under the mailbox. I figure if you plant something one foot from the street, next to your mailbox post, you've not much to complain about. Some water and nitrogen left behind. But the guy who complained was not the homeowner, but his next door neighbor.

Dogs who are not under control of the owner is certainly a problem. Not much in my area, although we did have a pit bull mix attack.

But what surprises me is the lack of concern that walkers, dog walkers, bicycle riders, runners have about their own safety. No all the streets in my area have sidewalks; yet 75% of these folks have no flashlight, vest, reflective strobe. Nothing. I have a reflective vest (actually two), three or more good flashlights (strong, strobe built-in, adjustable beam), and one wrap-around reflective band. The dog has two or three collar lights. I don't like these. Any time a dog sneezes or shakes water off, the light changes mode (on to off).

I gave the couple across the street a strobe light, since they always walk at night. They never used it once that I know of.

What can you say?

o

I think there is quite bit of difference between a dog doing No. 1 and No. 2. Local code says you must pick up when your dog poops on someone yard. No problem, I agree. At least most of the time. But what if your dog has a very runny deposit? In that case, a disposable glove and plastic bag won't improve things much. At one point I carried a plastic bottle of sawdust to sprinkle. Non-woodworkers might sub some shredded leaf material.

But what a about a dog urinating on someone lawn? Not against code that I can tell.

A guy once berated me for letting my dog tinkle on a plant one foot from the road. This was a non-blooming broadleaf plant under the mailbox. I figure if you plant something one foot from the street, next to your mailbox post, you've not much to complain about. Some water and nitrogen left behind. But the guy who complained was not the homeowner, but his next door neighbor.

Dogs who are not under control of the owner is certainly a problem. Not much in my area, although we did have a pit bull mix attack.

But what surprises me is the lack of concern that walkers, dog walkers, bicycle riders, runners have about their own safety. No all the streets in my area have sidewalks; yet 75% of these folks have no flashlight, vest, reflective strobe. Nothing. I have a reflective vest (actually two), three or more good flashlights (strong, strobe built-in, adjustable beam), and one wrap-around reflective band. The dog has two or three collar lights. I don't like these. Any time a dog sneezes or shakes water off, the light changes mode (on to off).

I gave the couple across the street a strobe light, since they always walk at night. They never used it once that I know of.

What can you say?

o

Some people just don't understand that dog is not just for Christmas

o

Robertz, where I live, homeowners are required to maintain that strip of land between the sidewalk and street. Most people in my neighborhood, myself included, install plantings to beautify the area. I had multi-colored coleus and many other plants there this last year. I actually had to install a "No Dog Pooping" sign, because, despite the fact that I'd obviously made an effort to beautify the area, people were allowing their dogs to crap on it. Not runny deposits, either.

As for dog peeing, have you never noticed the "burn" spots that dog urine makes on grass?

I love dogs, and my neighbors used to own dogs. They said there was never any reason to have their dog poop or pee on other people's yards....their dog did that at home before they took him out.

I am somebody who actually works in the garden in warm months, and there's nothing worse than encountering a load of crap that you were not prepared for in your garden. The same goes for people who let their cats out. Nothing more foul than cat/dog crap on my hands. Please be considerate.

o

rmlanza : Yes it is.. Even if you pick it up there are remnants and i don't want my kids playing in the grass that your dog just pooped on.

o

What about cats that run loose and spray or cap in yards? I would rather someone pick up their dog cap that smell a stinking cat.. I have two dogs and I keep them in my own yard or walk them in an empty lot but we do pick up after them, do what my neighbor did pick it up , put it in a bag and go dump it out on their porch, that never happened again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pet Debates Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here