SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pris_gw

cats verses dogs

pris
14 years ago

I live out in the country and have a question regarding trainability of cats.

I just lost my "house dog" and am considering replacing with a cat. I do have outside dogs who are my first responders when someone comes on the property but have always had a special friend that kept me company inside and could be trained to not make a mess in the house. No chewing, urinating, etc. My problem is this. I don't want to have a cat declawed. If it ever got out it would definately need those claws to defend itself.

I could bring one of the outside babies in, but, they much prefer being outside and all but one is way too big to sleep with me.

So to get a dog? Or to get a cat? Can a cat be trained to not claw the furniture? I've never had an inside cat. We supplement feed ferral barn cats to keep them around to hunt mice. Most were dumped by townies to get rid of their bad decision to acquire a cat. I wonder what they tell their kids when their pet goes missing?

I wouldn't even consider a cat if I hadn't recently retired. I have more time to work with one now and am here to see they don't get in mischief most of the time. (still need to go to town for food, etc)

Comments (5)

Sponsored