SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missuchloey

putting to sleep a cat that pees outside its box

missuchloey
12 years ago

There are no coincindents. thank you for your input armchairactivism. I had to put my cat down on Tuesday, and I felt HORRIBLE! I read your response after I returned from the SPCA, and you really helped me get through these past 2 days. I have such feelings of guilt, I felt I should have done more for my cat, but what else could have I done?...last month alone I spent over $700.00 in vet bills, xrays, blood work, medication, etc.. and my cat still was peeing outside her box. I bought new boxes, put out several boxes, tried every cat litter brand there is, and even locked my cat in her room for a day with her box.. with no positive results. My vet wanted me to get an abdominal ultrasound next, but I couldn't see what good that would do. My cat (who was my world) was 12 years old, and until December of 2011, she NEVER went to the bathroom outside her box. We did not have any changes in my home that would have triggered such actions. My last straw was when I watched her last Monday pee in my family room right in front of me. I had new flooring coming in on Tues (which cost over $4000.00) and I had to make a choice, the cat or my marriage. It got to the point that I was constantly arguing with my husband over the cat peeing. We thought the problem was resolved and ordered new flooring since we hadn't seen the cat pee in several weeks, and it appeared that she was using her box. Apparently she was only using it occasionally...the one thing that really still haunts me with guilt is that my cat appeared otherwise normal. The day I was bringing her to be put down, she was basking in the sun enjoying the nice weather. I heard cats hide their pain, and I really think that since she never pee'd outside the box before, something was very wrong and she must have been in pain but not showing it. I hope I'm not just trying to justify my actions, but I really miss my cat and feel horribly guilty and helpless now. Thank you armchairactivism for your input, you don't know how many times I keep reading your response to rationalize my decision. It is a horrifying thing to have to deal with, and I hope I never have to experience that again, but at least I know my cat isn't suffering anymore, and I truely believe she was in pain.

Comments (34)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths