SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
munkos

Harriers

munkos
17 years ago

I'm really considering getting a harrier dog in the future. We have decided to not have three dogs at this point. However, getting another once big guy is gone. Hopefully not for quite a few years yet.

However, I have done my research and know that it may take up to a year (if not longer, being that I'm in canada) to get my hands on a harrier pup. Although adopting an older harrier from a breeder would definately be an option if possible. I would almost prefer it.

From what I've read too, it's near impossible to get a harrier mix from rescue, because the breed is so rare. In 1994 there were 4 litters, resulting in 31 puppies. It's not a great possibility that kennel dogs would have harrier in them.

Also, has anyone had success getting a pup long distance?? Majority of breeders are in California, and I'm in Canada. They say they do do that, but is it a good idea??

I absolutely adore my beagle. I would have a million and one of them, if I could. However, we would prefer a bit of a bigger dog next time. And that what harriers are. Mid-size dogs, but with a beagle temperment and looks. It can't get much better than that :D

Comments (17)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler