Return to the Pet Debates Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homeopathic Medicine For Pets,

Posted by acorn (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 07 at 13:02

What do you think? At the feed store where I work we are getting a whole new line of products thru HomeoPet. I use Rescue Remedey and have used human homeopathic meds on my animals. I am wondering how many others use this type of product and what you think about it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homeopathic Medicine For Pets,

Never hoyd of it. Do they sell them at your typical suburban pet joints? I've seen sone au natural type pet supplies at whole foods but since they closed the one nearest to me and opened a new one farther away I don't go there too much.

o
RE: Expensive Sugar Pills

Homeopathic medicines are chemically speaking just sugar pills-or water, depending on the application. The original herbal content has been diluted to the point of non-existance.
I guess if they work it's because you want them to work sort of like placebos-(or voodoo.) Getting animals to believe in homeopathy would be something else again, but I'm sure there are folks out there who would swear up & down re. their efficacy.

o

QQ The feed store where I work is not at all a suburban joint it is a rural old fashion feed store selling feed and animal supports to ranchers and farmers. The pet dept. is new due to the city people who moved up here and want what they could get in a bigger town.(Ours has a pop. of 1600 and it was 800 two years ago, that's what happens when you sub-divide the ranches) savannarose, I will find out how well this product works because they have a de=wormer that takes care of all types of worm. My barn/house cats get tapeworm from the fleas on the rodents they eat. I use revelution on them for everything but tapeworm the tapeworm pills are big and for most of my cats it takes two pills. I can get the first one down a cat but the second is met with resistance. lol This HomoPet is a liquid that only needs two drops and with tapeworm I can check the results. I'll let you know if it works.

o

Rescue Remedy is a very well known flower essence based liquid that my own internal medicine doctor has recommended. It isn't sugar water or a placebo. I've seen it recommended in mainstream magazines for people and pets and in pet magazines like Cat Fancy. My vet recommended it for my cats being upset in the car during transport to the vet and during grooming because they hate it.

It is the only homeopathic substance I am familiar with so I can't comment on anything else.

o

Rescue Remedy isn't really homeopathic. It's true that homeopathic remedies are diluted, but it's a bit more complicated than just adding water. The original tincture is diluted and succussed (shaken or tapped) a certain number of times. For example, a remedy that is a potency of 30c has had one drop of tincture diluted in 100 drops of water, then one drop of THAT solution diluted in 100 drops of water, and so on, 30 times. The way it works is that the energy of the substance directs the body's life force to cure the disease. This may sound like voodoo or placebo effect to someone who is closed minded about the possibility, but it works. And, I know my dogs are smart but I don't think that they know that "this is a remedy that will stop you from having panic attacks" rather than a sip of water, but it works on my dogs. I've gotten over a cold in four hours using homeopathy, and cured my dogs of sarcoptic mange without poison dips.

o

That sounds really, really diluted to me!

I'm a strong believer in science (DH wouldn't be alive to day if it wasn't for it). With that said, I'm sure some homeopathic treatments work.

Yet, I am unsure of what the scientific formuula is for the "Body's Life Force". I don't think it's close minded not to believe in Homeopathic Medicine, I think it is just the acceptance that Medical Science has excelled far past that of Homeopathic Remedies. Homeopathic or natural medicine used to be the common way of treatment before modern medicine. The life expectancy for humans was almost half of what it is now!

That's great that you've cured yourself and your dogs with these remedies, but what about those pets and children that are subjected to only these treatments and die because they are not properly diagnosed and/or treated?

You may not go to this extreme, but some do.

o
RE:Plant Energy / Life Force

These are really metaphysical concepts & need to be presented as such. To sell these remedies as medicine is misleading at best.
I have nothing against metaphysics or religion, but if the chemical analysis of a substance is lactose and /or water, the manufacturer need to present it as such.
The concepts of homeopathy are carried over from 18th & 19th century theories that have no basis in modern medicine.
Buyer beware.

o

Im another who swears by Rescue Remedy. Id much rather calm my cat down with that rather than a mind altering drug like tranqs which take hours to wear off and sometimes cause very erratic and psychotic behaviors.

o

Homeopathy is a specific term. Rescue Remedy is not a homeopathic solution, it's an herbal tincture. People confuse "holistic" with "homeopathic".

Homeopathy is quackery that persists because back in the 30s, the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, which was shepherded through Congress by a homeopathic physician who was a senator, recognizes as drugs all substances included in the Homeopathic Pharmacopeia of the United States.

The basis for inclusion in the Homeopathic Pharmacopeia is not modern scientific testing, but homeopathic "provings" conducted during the 1800s and early 1900s. The current (ninth) edition describes how more than a thousand substances are prepared for homeopathic use. It does not identify the symptoms or diseases for which homeopathic products should be used; that is decided by the practitioner (or manufacturer). The fact that substances listed in the Homeopathic Pharmacopeia are legally recognized as "drugs" does not mean that either the law or the FDA recognizes them as effective.

Here's a cute article.

o
RE: Thanks gina w !!

Thanks so much for sharing that great article & for your post. Exactly right. I can't believe folks still go along with the foolishness of homeopathy, but as you point out, it has been "grandfathered" in so that these worthless remedies can still be marketed.
If people want to believe in homeopathy, that's fine. But someone, somewhere needs to educate the average consumer who is being mislead into thinking he or she is buying a product with actual herbal content . I truly doubt that people who purchase homeopathic remedies understand that they are just buying water & sugar.

o

Call me a fool, but I believe in the homeopathic remedies. I don't think it is the one true medical answer for all ailments, but I do believe there can be a balance of using: western medicine, homeopathic, acupuncture and flower essence to the common good of the patient.

I saw first hand how a homeopathic remedy cleared up a cronic problem in my 14 year old Peke that western medicine couldn't touch.

o

Without education, we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously
-G.K. Chesterton
If you can explain the "M" Theory of quantam physics to me satisfactorly. I will gladly discard the effects of homeopathy, no matter where it started, as it uses herbs. Science gets the majority of medicines from herbs and other plants.

I am very big on science,enough so that i don't discard any folk science. Because there is always the chance a new test or theory could prove anything right or wrong tomorrow morning.

What quality is the life of most people who live longer today?

My great grand mother lived to be 95. I wonder if she would have lived as long under modern medical care.
You do know that America has the most expensive and the worst health care system in the industrialised nations.

o

Homeopathy doesn't necessarily use herbs. Like I said, don't confuse "homeopathy" with "holistic" or herbal or alternative, etc. Homeopathy is a very distinct and specific term.

If you can prove homeopathy works, there's a million dollars waiting for you.

o

HELP- I'll try aything to fight fleas.

o

The US does have the worst health care system at the highest cost. The main difference between ours and theirs? Their health insurance covers "preventative care!"
Not only are their systems better and cheaper, the people are just more healthy. Gee, guess that would help keep costs down. What a concept! :-)

Sorry to hijack, just wanted to put my .02 in!

o

Not to beat a dead horse....but homeopathic remedies have NO chemically measurable amount of herbs in them. Chemically they contain water, lactose, etc. No chemically present herbs or botanicals.
You could shake water with cow pies & dilute it down to the point homeopathic remedies are diluted to & chemically you'd have the same substance, which would be water-H2O. (Actually I guess that would be H2O with the "memory" of B.S.)

o

Just to clarify:
Rescue Remedy is essentially homeopathic. It uses flowers which are diluted and succussed to, I believe, a 6X which means they did successive 1:10 dilutions 6 times.
Also, the Homeopathic Pharmacopeia does identify the symptoms and diseases each remedy is to be used for. Each "proving" of a substance contains carefully documented descriptions of effects seen in every body system, even mental/emotional effects. These effects are the very symptoms and diseases which will be relieved if the substance is given in dilute homeopathic form.
In my experience, homeopathy works sometimes and doesn't work sometimes. But I mainly use products from a homeopathic company called King Bio, which means I'm essentially self-treating and so I'm not surprised if I don't get it right every time. I've had a few work really well and 2 not work. Interestingly, one of the ones that worked amazingly well was a mental/emotional formula I used on my cat for her difficulty adjusting to a new house.
I think homeopathy is a great alternative option and is always worth a try because it may let you avoid/cut back/stop taking more harmful medications. I'll put the link to the company I use if anyone is interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Homeopathic Medicines

o

I want to add my 2 cents worth:
One of my very young kittens developed a severe case of diarrhea, my vet is on vacation and the next vet if more than 25 miles away, I had no transportation.
Rice and chicken-breast didn't do the trick, so I obtained a homeopathic remedy for digestive upsets from the feed-store, after three doses of three drops each, given for two days, she was well.
I don't think it's a placebo effect :)
I have used homeopathic remedies myself with good results, but this forum is about pets.

o

"Each "proving" of a substance contains carefully documented descriptions of effects seen in every body system, even mental/emotional effects."

Show me the published clinical double-blind trials that details these effects.

Also, the poster above who compared homeopathic remedies against "western medicine" - "homeopathy" was coined by a German in the early 1800s. Again - do not confuse "alternative" or "holistic" with Homeopathic.

The belief that extreme dilution makes drugs more powerful by enhancing their "spirit-like medicinal powers" is inconsistent with the laws of chemistry and physics.

If you feel better after using such remedies, it's a matter of timing and "placebo effect" (which has been studied and shown to be an effective method of treating pain.)

o
Exactly Right, Gina...

Folks will continue to believe in what's basically occult-inspired medicine no matter what. Why it continues to be grandfathered-in in the legitimate medical world is a greater mystery.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pet Debates Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here