Return to the Pet Debates Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can animals teach us?

Posted by lilod (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 7, 07 at 15:31

Our species, Homo Sapiens, has chosen to stand separated from all other species. We consider ourselves the most evolved of all life on Earth, and therefore above all other creatures..
The question is whether this is the only way to look at our relationship to other life?
Is our focus the only one or are there other species, evolved along different perspectives, that have other gifts and other foci's that, would we recognize them, can teach us anything?
I am not talking about physical skills here, the human species, being blessed with an opposable thumb, is about clever enough, so clever that we are capable to destroy the whole living space, if we so choose.
Is competing, ranking and judging the only worldview?
Animals dont worry near as much as we do, but seem to be more effective reacting to danger and have more than one survival skill.
They dont fear death, because they know they are in the circle of life.
Those choosing to be our helpers or companions, the domesticated ones, definitely choose that life, otherwise could you make a horse do what you want it to?
Have we lost the knowledge that all is connected and, that we are all made of the same stuff and are part of the Earth and the food-chain (think microbes here).
Food for thoughtwant to add yours?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can animals teach us?

I was planting some primroses yesterday with the help of my two half-cats Oreo and Kreem. They reminded me that it is the doing not the getting done that matters. I put the dirt in the pot Oreo dug it out and rolled in it. I put a plant in the pot Kreem jumped on it and battered it. After awhile they got bored and did something else, the plants look beautiful lol.

o

My cats teach me about unconditional love and acceptance. They absolutely adore us. Also, they teach me something spiritual - I know there are those that would debate this but when I look into my cats eyes I know they have a spirit. They help confirm the existance of God.

o

1-COURAGE-As a dog dragging a woman he has never seen before up an incline to a road after she has had a wreck than staying with her till she gets help. WHY did he do this to a different species that could mean nothing to him?
2-PATIENCE- As a cat ,dog waiting for a long time to catch a mole when they are'nt hungry. or patiently waiting by a door waiting for a master to come home.
3-UNSELFISHNESS- as many animals adopt other species as their own babies,feed them,clean them,love them. A young dog going to the defence of a human baby about to be attacked by a larger dog and taking the bites to protect the baby.
4-FAITH- As in their human gods, who starve them,beat them,leave them without shelter, TEACH THEM TO FIGHT TO THE DEATH,while their god bets money on their life or death. Throws them out of a car alongside a road.How long to they keep faith that their god will come back to get them before they die of starvation or get run over by a car?
5-FUN LOVING- Get a sparkle in their eyes when they know their owners are getting ready for a walk,play ball or with a toy with them. To tease their owners to play with them.To play with each other with total abandon.
6-SENSE OF HUMOR- To sit and plan a sneaky harmless attack to aggravate another animal or human. To act smug at the trouble another pet gets into.

I know there are more so lets hear them. I know there is a list of things wild animals can teach us. but i'll leave that for someone else.
vickie

o

I just wanted to say that I love this post...it is very insightful.

I love animals so much,and the first thing I do everytime I come home is run to see them.

I think we could all stand to learn alot more from them. Our lives may not be as "high tech",but they might be more simple and enjoyable.

o

Great responses! Although I have to say, this one is confusing. I'd sure drop my faith in a higher being if this is how I was treated.

4-FAITH- As in their human gods, who starve them,beat them,leave them without shelter, TEACH THEM TO FIGHT TO THE DEATH,while their god bets money on their life or death. Throws them out of a car alongside a road.How long to they keep faith that their god will come back to get them before they die of starvation or get run over by a car?

o

To look at things thru innocent eyes, and that there is a toy in about everything! Just ask a cat!

o

I would like to add

FORGIVE AND FORGET. Ever seen two dogs scrapple over a tidbit of food and then five minutes later they are playing as if they are the best of friends?

Humans could learn so much from that one trait.

o

jan, Sorry to confuse you.
The point is just as you said we'd drop a god like that. We sometimes lose our faith in times adversity. But look at the abuse a dog will put up with and still be faithful and love his master.
I don't mean we should put up with abuse but humans will also be unforgiving of people for simple slights.
Did i clear things up or confuse you more. My DD,s tell me i can confuse anyone on any subject.LOL
vickie

o

Thanks, Oakleif, that does clear it up some. Still, it's sad to think of dogs loyal to undeserving people.

o

lilod,Wanted to add a couple of things i've read sort of along the lines you were talking about in your original post.

I beleive it was Jane Goodal that studied the mtn gorrilas. There were some monkeys that hung around their headquarters. When they first got there the monkeys were thoughtful to each other and seldom quarreled. Someone started feeding them bananas everyday. Soon they were fighting over the free fruit and trying to steal it away.
The free feeding stopped and soon the monkeys returned to normal. Now figure that one out.

The other is the virus that causes ebola. Microbiologists say that the virus must be a new virus because it destroys its entire food source,humans, in a very short period of time and it cannot spread far because of this. Should it evolve to allow more of it,s victems to live or should a preditor of it evolve with it to slow it down it would spread world wide.
Just something to think about.

o

My cats teach me about unconditional love and acceptance.

Funny thing is it's not just for humans, but even for other animals. I saw this first hand years ago. We had two cats and two dogs. One of the dogs, a pure bred golden retriever, had gone into labor, and was about to give birth to her first litter of pups. One of the cats, a 16 year old female black angora, stayed right by the dog's head, nuzzling up between her ears, and generally showing concern. Our other dog, a male morwegian elkhound, got curious and tried to come into the room to see what was happening, and all of the sudden, that cat went into attack mode, LUNGING at the poor elkie!! he didn't know what hit him-- all he knew was he didn't want anything to do with what was happening in that room!!

o

Barney - my first Golden (and pet, at age 29) taught this serious and reserved girl that it's okay to play.

Chammi - now 12, taught me the benefits of living in the moment. Her world is the here and now, more than any other dog I've known.

Java - now 10, taught me total devotion.

Meadow - a rescue we found on the side of the road who was with us only two months before she died, taught me that it's never to late to find love.

Tootie - now 6, taught me that a positive attitude can take you far in life.

Sophie and Lucy, sisters who are now 1, taught me that there are bonds that will never be broken.

o

Goldgirl- How wonderful of Meadow.....

A LONG FULL BODY STRETCH is the best way to start the morning.

o

Goldgirl, I liked your list, I will use your format.

Jessica, my first dog as an adult, taught me about unconditional love and helped me to understand that I was not loved by my then-husband.

Peaches, my second dog as an adult, taught me that I did not have the power to make things all right all of the time - even with a fresh Master's degree as a Social Worker!

Megan taught me what a good dog was like, and how to communicate with body and eyes and how to form an unspoken bond with another living creature.

Toby teaches me that good spirits, optimism, and patience make life happy and carefree.

Casey Jones teaches me that we all have emotional needs that you cannot ignore without breaking the spirit. He has also taught me that "if you don't want that right now, I'll take it" is an equally valid moral stance!

Sabrina (we have had her a week now!) is teaching me how hard it can be to trust, and that patience has its rewards. She actually wagged her tail just a bit when I went to her and petted her this morning. That is a first!

o

My roses teach me beauty and patience. Mostly patience.

o

Animals are teaching us now that our human created food chain is all messed up.

o

Patience! We have learned through adopting rescues that sometimes it takes a long time to earn their trust, love and respect, but the results are always more than worth the wait!

o

Our species, Homo Sapiens, has chosen to stand separated from all other species. We consider ourselves the most evolved of all life on Earth, and therefore above all other creatures..

You can leave me out of the We in that sentence.

All species evolved together in a web life, such that no species is above the other, all species are interdependant upon each other.

And if you haven't seen this list, it circulated on email awhile back:

If a Dog Were Your Teacher

You would learn stuff like...

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

Allow the experience of fresh air
and the wind in your face to be pure
ecstasy.

When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.

Let others know when they've invaded your territory.

Take naps and stretch before rising.

Run, romp, and play daily.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lay under a shady tree.

When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

No matter how often you're scolded, don't buy into the guilt thing and
pout, run right back and make friends.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

Eat with gusto and enthusiasm. Stop when you have had enough.

Be loyal.

Never pretend to be something you're not.

If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

And MOST of all...

When someone is having a bad day,
be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.

~Author Unknown

o

Animals operate on instinct. How can they teach us anything? They can teach their young to become self sufficient. That is about it---but, we already have that instinct.

o

This is the wrong place for your kind of bull handymac, this forum is mostly populated with animal lovers. I can only imagine that you are being sarcastic and not realistic.

o

Hmmmm, owned horses for 20 years---4-H, have had dogs my whole life except when in the Army, had cats, parakeets, tropical fish, white rats, lizards, rabbits, a raccoon, a opossum, and have fed birds on occasion. I am extremely realistic.

I currently have two dogs, both mixed aggressive breeds---one of which I rescued from euthanasia----both of whom are stretched out by my feet as I type---tired from the afternoon session of work/exercise/play. They are a part of my family, but---they are dogs first, second, and always. They get treated like aggressive breed dogs, not like my grandchildren or my children. Shorty, the 20 year old chihuahua mix we just had to euthanize because of advanced cancer, was treated like a small noisy dog.

Max, my 3 year old German Shepherd/Rottweiler mix(the out of control rescued dog) is a watchdog. The daughter of the family who got rid of him is a friend of my oldest granddaughter and was here Sunday. She had not seen the dog in a year and a half. She could not get over how calm and behaved he is. They tried to treat Max like a person, thinking they were being good owners. Max had no idea how to be a dog---and that had him so confused and unbalanced he was dangerous.

I've been an animal lover my entire life. However---people who insist animals have human characteristics are doing a disservice to the animal. Animals have to be treated as others of their kind would treat them to be complete animals. Treating an animal like a human creates unbalanced animals.

Now, if the question were---"What has being associated with my animals taught me?----Oh, my, there are hundreds of answers.

See my point?

o

Animals are channels of pure love. This is what attracts us to them. They do not care about who you are or what you have done in your life. This is God`s love shining through and how God wants us to treat each other. Animals are selfless they do not desire power or money. We waste our time desiring worldly things. They give their lives to us and have become our food our protection and even our image. Animals have done so much for us and while this is happening they all trust in God undoubtedly. This is what animals have taught me... Pure Love.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pet Debates Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here