Return to the Pet Debates Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finding a new home for animals?

Posted by arkansas_girl (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 28, 07 at 11:42

When you come to the realization that you can no longer provide a home for a cat or dog, what is the best way to rehome an animal? Do you place an ad, do you ask friends and relatives, do you take them to a shelter? How do you find the best home?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finding a new home for animals?

I would never place an ad - I could never give up an animal to a stranger - giving it to someone I know would be hard enough. So I would do everything I could to find it a home with my family or friends. As for going to a shelter - no how no way.

o

In order of preference: family, friends, veterinary client, veterinary student, breed-specific rescue.

I only take strays that I find to the shelter, with the stipulation that I'd take them if their time ran out and they'd be killed otherwise.

I hope to never need to make that decision.

o

I was hoping for some suggestions I hadn't thought of.
I've been trying to find a home for my neighbors cat that I took in several months ago.

No takers among wither my friends or family, and I'm reluctant to take her to even a no-kill shelter. (More people would see her, but the shelters around here are already swamped.) I've tried all my personal networks, even asked friends to circulate her info and pictures to their friends, and I don't want to simply put up a note at the grocery store or something. I'm running out of options! And she's such a sweetheart, I want to make sure she goes to someone who will really love her. She deserves to be treated like a queen; she's a little more like Cinderella-cat at our house.

I keep several pictures of her on my camera phone, and if I sense any interest I pull them out and show them off!

Single, adult princess; looking for LTR with the right human...

o

She's very pretty- looks like the hospital cat at my first vet job. Her name was Sylvie for her gorgeous color. Sylvie was a client donation, so...

I'd try some of the larger animal hospitals in your area. People who go to the vet and look at the adoptable pet boards there are most likely good owners. The hospital may know of a cat with a recent loss who is looking for a new friend. At least the hospital would know the person as a good pet owner, so if you had to give her up to a stranger there is at least some assurance it's a good stranger.

o

The cats that are here may not be very adoptable because the one cat throws up all over the furniture all the time and the other cat is so afraid of strangers I don't know how anyone would even be able to come and look at him. They both are very lovable cats, that's not an issue, they don't claw stuff up but if one goes, they both have to go because they are a "couple". They've been together for at least 7 years. I can no longer allow my home to be destroyed by a cat that is not even my cat to begin with...I have another thread about the cat ruining my furniture. I'm sorry but I just am not a cat person...my love is with the canine variety. I wish I could change my mind but I'm constantly upset by the damage that is being done to my furniture. The local no kill shelter already has too many cats as it is so I will look to the local vet and see if they can find someone. I'm just totally at my wits end. I have asked to woman that dumped them on my husband to please find them a home but she refuses to do anything to help...grrrrrr...Noone in the family has any more room for more animals either. It just seems like everyone that likes cats already has too many to take them.

o

Good luck, arkansas girl; that sounds like a tough placement. And I'm so sorry you've been backed into that kind of a position; that stinks.

I'm going to check out the animal hospital option. There's a big small-animal clinic associated with the university; I'm going to take a stroll over there and see if they have a bulletin board I could slip something onto. If you can do something similar I'd write something up that is honest about the cats problems, but really accentuate their positives. And include lots of pictures; picutres can grab people's emotions better than words.

Good for you for trying to find them a home, and trying to place them together. Good luck!

o

Another good place to offer them for adoption is in retirement communities. Many of these communities allow residents to have small pets, and cats fit the bill nicely.

Perhaps you could call around to see if you could place an ad in their newsletter?

o

Locate a rescue facility that is on Petfinder.com and ask them if they will post her for you....

You should be able to find someone to do that for you...our group does that occasionally for individuals.

o

Why does everyone hate the newspaper so much?

o

Good question...if I have to put an ad in the paper, I will! And I'm not going to feel guilty about it either. Does anyone have some horror stories I should know about? I know that if I were looking for a puppy, I would certainly check the paper.

o

I don't know any horror stories, and I wouldn't rule it out completely, but it would be low on my list of options.

When I've looked for new pets, I try to go with people I know, or people I have some connection with. I'm making a long-term committment, and I want to have a lot of confidence the pet is coming from a healthy home where it hasn't been abused.

There are so many cats available out there -- thru friends, shelters and what have you -- I beleive someone who was sincere about making a long term committment to a cat would be willing to get up and visit one of those places. Responding to an ad in the newspaper seems like something you might do on a whim. If I was trying to place a cat, especially someone difficult like my older cat or your problem cats, I would worry that someone who put that little effort into getting the cat might be equally casual about getting rid of the cat.

Tough enough to yank them out of my house; I'd hate to think they might be soon discarded fom the new place!

I know many people believe that evil-doers troll the papers looking for free pets to feed to pitbulls or send to disreputable laboratories -- I don't worry about that so much. But I do want to believe if I pass an animal along it is to a happy "forever home".

At least that's my thinking about placing newspaper ads.

o

Well it happens. There is a well known case here where a woman placed an ad for free kitten and this girl got it and her and her moron boyfriends fed the terrified and screaming kitten to a pitbull. The kitten was on a rafter and they knocked it down and the pitbull tore it apart while they cheered and filmed the whole thing. It happens all the time. This time a decent person saw the video , told her dad who told the police and these social deviants will go to jail>

o

Yeah I suppose anything's possible with all the crazy's out there these days. I don't live in a rural area that pitbull fighting is popular but I'm sure there are a few around. I remember way back 35 years ago this old woman that owned a petshop in my small hometown in Texas used to feed puppies and kittens to her "pet" snakes. YIKES!

We've made one last attempt to ask the cats' owner to please take these cats or find them another home because we are going to find them a new home if she doesn't. Maybe giving her an ultimatum will make a difference. Doubt it though.

o

I saw your other thread a while back and wasn't really sure you had followed through on all options available to help with throwing up. There were several of them offered. You may want to go back and read that. If you can deal with that issue, the cats may be much more easily adopted if you don't want to keep them.

o

The only thing I haven't tried is the Natural foods route. I have decided that I do not want to have these cats anymore...I'm tired of trying and trying experiment after experiment and will hopefully find someone that is a cat fanatic to take over this project of futility. This apartment isn't big enough for the four of us. I am so angry this morning after reading a smartallic letter from my husbands "friend" (EX girlfried) that used to own these cats.

Update on woman that owns the cat: She replied to my husbands pleas with a smartallic letter about how she would do things and never once said she will take them. She has no idea all the experiments we've gone through trying to make her stop throwing up.

o

Ah so - it's not the cats, it's the association. Puts an entirely different light on the situation.

o

Yeah well I wasn't meaning to get into all that but I'm just so doggon angry this morning after her condescending reply to his letter for assistance. She proceeded to tell him that he should never have changed the feeding routine...well that feeding routine of yesteryear did not work anymore(the reason for changing it) and she was throwing up every single day to the point of being emaciated. She was also refusing to eat the food she had been eating for many years. Don't know if her stomach changed or the manufacturer changed the food...who knows.

o

Cats are strange creatures, they pick up on thoughts and attitudes, she probably is reacting to your resentment and to the fact that the furniture represents something of value to you.
I am not putting the blame on you, understand that. This situation is more than just your dislike of the cats (or of the former owner).
I agree it would be best to re-home the cats, she may not throw up if she is elsewhere.

o

Thanks for your input, I don't disagree that the cat could be "feeling the vibes" but she has had the throwing up problem since she was a kitten so it's not me. She needs to be in a house with some little old lady that has nothing in the world to do but baby sit for a cat's medical condition. This cat needs to be closely monitors with only high end cat food which is something(monitoring) that I'm just not willing to do. I'm not willing to devote my entire day to feeding her.

o

I agree with lilod. The cat may have had issues before but it sounds like it has gotten worse. Cats stomachs can be delicate and experimenting with different foods shouldn't be done lightly - and with your cats case, I wouldnt' recommend without vet involvement. I have a cat that too will throw up all over if it does not eat the right food and take it's daily pills. Another one that could have potential problems if the food is changed. We work closely with our vet to monitor the one, and if diet changes are required for the second. A vet could help diagnose the issue with your cat - for example, mine has been diagnosed with pancreatitis and IBD. The other just had a picky stomach. We do find our cats will vomit again (typically in streaks), but can also go several weeks with no incident.

But putting together a cat that has some health issues and anger from association and situation on your part, the cat would be best in a new home with someone that has the time/desire to work with a vet to resolve or control the issue.

o

Ah... but finding that person... that seems to be the sticking point!

o

Some animals just can never be re-homed for a variety of reasons. euthanasia is sometimes the best/ most realistic answer. As a dog breeder of working dogs, sometimes there will be a dog which just cant cut the mustard, so to speak and I will have it euthanized, I feel that is better for the animal than being kicked around from keeper to keeper and spend its life on the end of a chain eating cheap crap dog food.

o

Yes I agree 100%. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do and use common sense. I really do not see much hope in being able to find someone that will want to care for and put up with this sickly cat but maybe we'll find someone. My husband asked me if we should tell a perspective new owner for the cats about her sick stomach and I said "ABSOLUTELY WE DO!!!!!!!!" We have to tell them...there's no other option!

o

One last suggestion, and actually it may be good for both the cat and you.

Bach's Rescue Remedy..... It's stuff you drop in their/your mouth that is suppose to have a calming effect. It works for my dogs (and me!)

I'm not saying you should keep the cat forever if this works, but it may make life easier for you both while you're trying to find her a home.

o

Here's a picture...maybe someone here can take them ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: cats pic

o

Wow! They're beautiful!
If I didn't live in a small apartment in Ohio, struggling with the two I have now, I'd be very tempted!

Good luck, arkansas girl!

(The Bach's remedy may give you some relief. Friends have had a lot of success with that, just for calming the animals nerves and easing tensions. They simply put a few drops in the water bowl everytime they change the water, and they swear by it. I got the Feliway spray when I first brought my neighbor's cat into the house. I refreshed it in a couple of key spots in the apartment this week and it seems to have calmed tensions a great deal. You can get Bach's Rescue Relief at big health food stores or online.)

o

They are pretty cats...the Siamese mix has big blue eyes and the Oriental Shorthair is a pretty shiny silver.

Well the cat is about as laid back as you can get(a rag doll) so I don't think she needs calming anymore than she already is....as it is she pretty much sleeps with the other cat most of the day. I could use some wine or something however...hahaha! but unfortunately I don't drink :( Do they make Bach's for people?

o

I had suggested in your other post about Pepcid AC but suggested to check with your vet. Not sure if you tried it or not? We have a small 8 lb male cat that gets 1/4 of a 10 mg pepcid ac every day. If we stop, he throws up. Another much larger (16 lb)cat that gets pepcid maybe three or four times a year - half of a 10 mg pill. Must not be pepcid complete but just plain pepcid ac.

I still recommend checking with a vet, but if you don't want to take the cat in, it is worth trying.

o

And yes, Bach's Rescue Remedy is primarily for people!

o

I wish I didn't live in an apartment... I'd have you stick them in an envelope and mail them to FL :O) The situation sucks. By the way, what part of Arkansas do you live in? My best friend just moved back home several months ago to Fort Smith... I could just kick her for leavin me, but she's happy and has about 10 cats. 2 inside and the rest outside! :*(

o

I used to live in the Ozarks but I'm now in Ohio. I have faith that someone that really loves cats will come along and give them a good home!!!!

o

"...the Siamese mix has big blue eyes and the Oriental Shorthair is a pretty shiny silver."

Bingo.
Contact Siamese Rescue. They have a network of foster homes as well as a facility in Virginia (and volunteers who help to move cats around from state to state as needed). They may be able to help these guys. They have several cats listed in Ohio, and sometimes move cats to the VA. This is a wonderful organization and these kitties would find good homes. The cats do not have to be purebred, but they need to have a siamese connection and the kitty on the right definitely has the markings. They do take orientals too.

Good luck and let us know if they are able to help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Siamese Rescue

o

Oh I sure wish you still lived in the Ozarks, I am in Joplin and I would of met you half way and taken those kitties off your hands. My friend seen the pics and she wanted to know how far away you were, bummer:(

o

micke, I don't live in the Ozarks anymore...I've recently moved to NE Ohio. The Ozarks are absolutely beautiful...I sure miss it, Ohio is COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially right now!

o

Oops...sorry I miss-read that...never mind

Yeah I used to have to go to Missouri quite often, it would have been no big deal to have met halfway...darn!

o

arkansas, I have read all your posts and really hope you are able to rehome these cats very soon. Poor cats, they need someone to love and care for them, and a strong sense of your dislike for them and your need for a "neat" home is evident. Animals really have to be tolerated and respected on their own terms, and you sound like a person who should not own pets. No doubt the excessive vomiting is due, at least in part, to stress, and that they can sense when they are not wanted.

o

Well as I've said before and will say again...THIS CAT HAS BEEN THROWING UP SINCE SHE WAS A KITTEN she is now at least 7 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trying to find a food this cat can eat had been a life long battle for my husband's EX.

I have owned dogs(dogs are like kids as far as I'm concerned) my entire life but I will admit that I'm not a cat lover...I had one cat for many years and swore that I'd never have another indoor cat again after that one past away. Well they say "never say never". So far we have had no luck finding a good home...even had one old man wanting them for his niece as a 4H project...WHAT!!!???

o

Arkansas girl, I know the cat has had issues for a while but you have said it has got worse. But it is obvious that you do not have any affection for this cat...I think you have mentioned the vomiting, the cat belonging to your husband's ex and sinus issues, and a general dislike for cats. That can't possibly be a good life for a cat in that environment. Good luck finding it a new home. As mentioned - you may want to try the pepcid AC. Hopefully someone who will be willing to work with a vet on the problem will adopt soon.

o

So have you contacted Siamese Rescue? I'm not clear if you're really trying to rehome them at this point or just venting.

o

Yes, I've contacted them and they explained to me what they can do for the siamese mix. And yes, I'm trying to find them a new home now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pet Debates Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here