Return to the Pet Debates Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping Squirrels off Squirrel Proof Feeder

Posted by secsteve (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 29, 11 at 9:15

I previously had one of these feeders which worked well until it came apart. This new one is the same type, but the squirrels are all over it and I'm at my wits end trying to stop them.

They climb up the narrow pole and then hang down from the top and dig out the feed and throw it on the ground.

I've tried greasing the pole about half way up and then all the way and it only stops them for a short time.

Any other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping Squirrels off Squirrel Proof Feeder

One thing I've tried but sadly, it only works for a short time is this: Spray the pole and every place the squirrels may touch with oily cooking spray. Then sprinkle it HEAVILY with red pepper. They really hate red pepper. The rain will wash it all away and red pepper is NOT cheap in the bigger containers, but it works. I mostly use it when I'm at my wit's end just to get the satisfaction of watching them try to get to the seed but can't.
If someone could come up with a good reliable and affordable solution to this, they could make a lot of money! We've tried all the squirrel baffles, supposedly squirrel proof feeders, etc. but they always find a way around it.

o

take a old 33 record and put it on the string/wire that you are hanging the feeder from the record should be right on top of the feeder.When thye step on the record it tips them right off. Works like a charm

o

This works great for us.
Have not had a single squirrel get a single seed except what the birds throw down to the ground.

It is the squirrel buster plus feeder, even IF a squirrel gets to the feeder it closes on him before they can get anything, but so far they cant even get that far.

photo 003-2.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pet Debates Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here