Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sleep problems

Posted by jadenrain (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 8, 01 at 22:33

My 3 1/2 year old daughter never sleeps! OK, so I'm exaggerating, but only a little bit. My daughter wakes up, on her own, at the crack of dawn (around 6 a.m.) and she's on the go from there. She will not take a nap in the afternoon, no matter how tired she is. She could be falling asleep while she's playing or watching a video and she still won't lay down and sleep, she'll get up and run around to keep herself awake. Her bedtime is at 9 p.m., every night, with no exceptions. She doesn't actually go to sleep (or even stay in her bed) until midnight or after that. I cannot go to sleep before she does because she gets into everything and she trashes the house. I'm exhausted. Doesn't a toddler need more than 6 or 7 hours sleep? How do I get her to unwind so she can get into a regular sleep pattern?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sleep problems

I can totally relate!! My 3 year old rarely ever takes any naps, unless it's in the car, and then it's so late in the evening or afternoon, that it ruins all hopes of getting him to bed at a decent hour at night. When I do get him to his bed, it's read a story. I read the story. Then it's read another story. Sometimes, that does the trick. Other nights it's--I need water, I didn't brush my teeth (when he did!), I just want out, I'm hungry, the boogie man is in my room....the list goes on and on.
I'm not saying that this is a good thing, but sometimes letting him watch a little tv at night helps him to drift off. But, mostly, it's just reading several books and playing a game of peek a boo from his room to the hallway.
But, I know there are some nights he'd stay awake til 3 am if I'd let him!! I guess I can't blame him, both my husband and I are night owls. So maybe we need to change our habits and our son will change his.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here