SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaca_gw

Please help my 4 yr old is throwing out of control tantrums

lisaca
16 years ago

I am so frustrated and don't know what to do. My son is 4 yrs old and I have taken him to the doctor with concerns of ADD. She said absolutely not. She said if he were ADD he wouldn't be able to sit thru an exam. He has been in preschool and he has been placed in the 2 to 3 year old class. He doesn't know his colors. They say he is behind. He is also behind in his speech. He goes to a speech tharapist two times a week and she also says he is very focused. Then there are the tantrums, he has these on a daily basis and they are quite severe and I never know what is going to set him off. He goes into rages if I tell him to do something that he does not want to do such as, pick up his toys or he can't have something sweet to eat. These outbursts started getting severe for the last 2 weeks. He starts hitting me, pulling my hair, biting me, calls me names, spits on me, throws anything at me in his sight, knocks over furniture, all because he doesn't want to do something. I am so worried. I feel that there is something seriously wrong. His behavior is only with his family. His preschool says he is an angel and has no behavior issues and his speech teacher says he is perfect with her and listens very well. He gets along great with other kids. He only acts up with his immediate family. I dont know if I should press the ADD issue with the doctor or is there something else going on with him. He rarely sits still at home. It seems like he is always on the go or getting into something he shouldn't be in. He will sit thru a movie but only if I am also watching it. He is very easily bored. He breaks most of his toys and they only interest him for a couple of days. I don't know what to do. Perhaps he can't handle sugar. Maybe food allergies? I noticed it is alway in the evening. Maybe he is overtired. I just need some advice, anyone?

Thanks, Lisa

Comments (9)

Sponsored