Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watching the same movie over & over and..........

Posted by ManyaNC (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 17, 01 at 15:35

OVER!

I always thought it would be so wonderful when my 2.5 year old would be be able to sit and watch TV long enough for me to get some things done around the house. Well guess what? Now he watches Toy Story and Toy Story 2 over and over and cries while it rewinds because he wants to see it again. At first it was cute but now he wakes up in the morning demanding to watch it. We have tried to interest him in other things (away from the TV and playing outside)but he is addicted. Even calls himself "Buzz Light Beer".

This has been going on for about 3 weeks now. I don't remember my 7 year old DD going down this road.

Any advice or will this soon pass???

I would like to watch some TV myself from time to time!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watching the same movie over & over and..........

Take advantage of it and buy the same videos in Spanish. We did. You'll be amazed what they pick up. (but DH and I both speak Spanish...)

o

Same thing happened here. A few months ago Shane, who's now 32 months, got into watching (hate to say this) Austin Powers. His Dad was watching it one night on TV and Shane saw Minnie Me and loved him for some reason. So he liked watching the second one more but he'd watch the first one, too. For days that was all he would watch and it drove me nuts! I have those movies memorized now. My fiance' hid them in the back of the shelf behind other movies and he asked and I said I had no idea where they went to and he found them! After about two weeks, he got bored of them. He now likes to watch different kids programs on TV~he'll watch Nickelodean one day, Disney the next, PBS other days. So it will pass but you can help it along by temporarily "losing" them. Have fun! LOL

~Leslie~

o

I hope there's nothing wrong with him because I feel the same way about Brad Pitt :)

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it too much. He'll soon find something else to entertain himself. The Buzz Light Beer comment is so cute!

o

It's normal. Not all kids do it but a lot do it. My take on it is, I don't mind, as long as it's NOT TELETUBBIES. I would go insane. :-)

And DD has gone thru phases. October it was Toy Story. Now it's Frosty and Rudolph. Over the summer it was this one Barney talent show video. I grew to hate it ;-) but she got over it and moved on.

o

Been there, done that too. My dd would watch one movie over and over again and then one day decide to move on to another. At one point I was trying to get her away from TV so I got her new markers and books etc to entice her. I ended up with colored walls. Movies were less hazardous!!!
They'll outgrow it. I used that time to read which I hadn't had time to do for a long time. I'd sit in the room with my dd with a good book, a snack and a soda and enjoy.

o

It's not unusual at all for a 2 1/2 yr. old to watch the same movie over and over. Sooner or later he will move on. But I do like the idea someone had about thinking up another activity that might stir his interest. A puzzle, for his age level, legos??

Actually toddlers are known for liking and learning through listening to stories and watching movies over and over. They learn a lot of vocabulary that way.
Try inticing him by selecting a book with colorful pages.
Perhaps one about Toy Story to begin with..then perhaps you can move on to something else.
~Lynn~

o

Don't worry it is very normal for small children to watch the same movies over and over. My 5 yr. old grandson loves Twister and has ruined me from watching it because everytime he comes to visit that is what he wants to watch. My 2 yr. old granddaughter has watched a Mickey Sing along video I have over and over and she has watched Shrek a dozen times already.

o

If you can afford it, DVD's "rewind" quicker :o)

Our eldest went through almost every Disney animation that we have in this manner -- watch it over and over for a week or two and then move on to the next one. Try to encourage variety (easier said than done, I know) and you might want to limit movie time to a single movie each day, but you'll need other stimulating experiences for your kid(s) to fill the difference in time.

Brian

o

All 3 of mine did this as well. If you think about it, there's ALOT of information in your average movie. Too much for a 2.5 year old mind to digest and comprehend in only one viewing. It takes several viewing for them to be able to put the story together.

o

Y'know, Blues Clues is built on the premise of repetition--they run the same episode two or three times in a row. Cindy Lou's got a point. Plus there are all the extras in the movie--foreground and background--that provide information for them to learn from (considering that they're learning all sorts of stuff!)

It's really annoying isn't it? It's good thing kids are cute!

o

Shane's now moved on to new movies. We were watching the Disney Movie, Dinosaur a lot last week. He watches Cats & Dogs everytimg we go to Jer's dad's. This week he's watching a Bob the Builder movie that my Mom bought him for Christmas. He does learn stuff. He'll mimic things in the movies and say new words. It gives him quiet time where he'll sit down and just watch and learn. Gives me time to clean up the previous messes he made. It's not all bad. They'll get tired and move on.

My Dad had several girlfriends over the years and I remember one girl made us watch 101 Dalmations all the time and his last girlfriend's boy at 2 loved Backdraft!

~Leslie~

o

My kid is obsessed with Dumbo. He asks for it the morning as he is waking up. EVERY morning. I know almost all the lines because I lay in bed with him and watch it too and sing the songs. Then, I go to work humming the tunes. Sigh.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here