SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amyb_gw

Biting and slapping at 11 months??!?!?!!?!

AmyB
22 years ago

I wasn't sure whether to post this on the toddler forum or the infant forum.

Here goes. My 11-month old has just recently started biting me. She tries to bite my nose, my arms, my toes...whatever she can get her mouth on. I'm hoping her gums are just bothering her and she is using me as a teether. I don't want her to become one of those little biters that everyone talks about at daycares, nurserys, etc!!!

The real issue, though, is our discipline problem. When she was around 6 -7 months old we began telling her NO very sternly to discipline her. If that didn't work, we would smack her hand and remove her from the situation/divert her attention to something else. That usually got her worked. Well, the past couple of months, when I tell her no or smack her hands, she tries to smack me back IN THE FACE. I've realized that maybe our smacking of the hands technique was not such a good idea.

Now the question. How do I reverse the damage we've caused? A stern NO doesn't work anymore. What are some other techniques I can use without physical "abuse" for lack of a better term!~???

Please help me before I lose it!!!

Comments (19)

Sponsored