Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Switching to whole milk

Posted by
BBilling
(glennbilling@home.com) on
Tue, Dec 25, 01 at 14:48

My pediatrician just advised me to switch my 1 y/o DS from formula to whole milk. He seems to like it okay, but he now has diarrhea. Was just wondering if this is common among children not quite ready for whole milk or if he has caught a bug from somewhere.

Thanks!
Beth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Switching to whole milk

It could be either really. I can't exactly remember back to when we switched our son but I would consider it normal for it to take a while for your babie's body to except the change. It was the same when we had to switch formulas and things so I would consider it normal. I think some kids end up with consipation when they switch to whole milk. Just be sure you're giving your son some other fluids and things to keep him hydrated. There are bugs going around so watch for other symtoms. Either way, it should clear up within a week or less. If not, call your doctor. Your son may be lactose intolerant or something.

~Leslie~

o

I was advised to transition slowly. Continue formula and give 1 cup of milk a day to start and each week substitute milk for the formula.
It worked great for us.

o

you can mix formula and milk together
maybe try 2 oz milk and 4 oz formula and then gradually increase milk and decrease formula

o

I mixed breastmilk and/or formula with 1/2 milk and gradually increased the milk percentage until my DD was on milk totally.

MollyM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here