Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reward system?

Posted by emmhip (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 20, 05 at 11:57

Does anyone have an effective reward system/chore chart, or any ideas that could apply to a 3 1/2 year old? I think my DD could really benefit from a little more structure. My DH is much better at disipline than I am and I am wondering what tools have worked for the rest of you. Lately DD has been having temper tantrums, and can be extremely stubborn. Any ideas??? Sometimes it is very difficult to get her to listen and follow basic instructions like getting ready in the morning. I would much rather find ways to reward her for her good behavior than be constantly threatening to take things away.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reward system?

At 3 1/2 your approval is the best reward you could ever think of. Children that age want your approval more than anything.
As for the temper tantrums....ig nore them....isolate her when she goes into a screaming fit. Walk away and tell her you have a hug for her when she is through acting like that......then do it!
Linda C

o
RE: Reward system?

That is the most on target advice ! Well done Linda.

Yes, ignore bad behavior completely and the moment you see the desired behavior, reward it. The best way is to say and show it. "What a fantastic job picking up your toys!" "Nice way to keep those feet on the floor". "All right! You held my hand." Hugs, kisses, pats on the back, anything they love.

If it is an especially difficult undesirable behavior to extinguish, you could hammer away at it with words, actions and tangible items such as stickers or reinforcing toys they love, but it's best saved for when the above route hasn't worked with some effort.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here