Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
529 child investments, best state?

Posted by
Nicholas E
(kingofargentina@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Dec 6, 01 at 7:59

What state has the best 529 college investment plan? My understanding is that several can be used in different states. We live in NC. Our 11 moth old Tierney has birth money still sitting in a money market account.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 529 child investments, best state?

Money Magazine did a review not too terribly long ago about the 529 plans. I'm sorry I don't remember all of the ones they rated highly, but I do remember that the Missouri plan was one of the top 5. (I remember because I live in Missouri and it has the added benefit for me of being deductible from my state income taxes). I'd suggest doing a search on-line or at the library to find the full review in Money mag.

No matter which state you live in, you can participate in any state's 529 plan. The differences will be in the amount of fees and/or commissions they charge and on how well the money manager actually performs. But if your state collects income taxes and your state's 529 plan is deductible on your state return, that may tip the scales in their favor.

o

• Posted by
    landmarker
    (no@no.com) on
    Tue, Dec 11, 01 at 12:30

If your state has a plan, it is generally the best choice because you can deduct your contributions from you State income tax, and your capital gains are not subject to state tax.

o

there is a web site that compares them all side by side but i don't know the exact site. do a search on google

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here