Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Books

Posted by
Sue
(JamesSue@theworks.com) on
Thu, Nov 8, 01 at 20:55

Hi, Grammy is back again, this time I would like to know what is or was your childs favorite book. My granddaughter will be one next month. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Books

"I Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch. (ok maybe it's my favorite...heehee)
DD loves anything by Dr. Seuss too. Any kind of board books are great because they are basically indestructible and you don't have to worry about pages ripping. The ones DD especially likes are by Sandra Boynton.
-HaleysMommy (14 mos)

o

Barn Yard Dance- it's a must have!

o

My baby has always loved the 'touch and feel' books. You can go to an online bookstore like Amazon or Barnes and Noble and they will give good suggestion by age.

o

my son really loves lift the flap books.

o

My DD loves all books, but really likes the ones where you can lift flaps, or parts of the pictures stand up, and the ones with textures on the pages for them to feel.

o

DS's all time fave is Dr. Seuss "Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?" Any other Seuss is good too.

Like the others, I'd suggest the tactile and peek-a-boo books. At this age they let reading be more interactive. I think it's Eric Carle?? the hungry caterpiller and those classics.

Above all, make sure it's sturdy! Paper-paged books are bound to be destroyed, quickly. (says the mom who needs to go buy yet another replacement copy of goodnight moon!)

o

My daughter loves her Chicka Chicka ABC book (a simple little board book) something about the rhythm you naturally get into when reading it - she just lights up!

o

my Dd loves barney books, dr.suess..where the wild things are is excellent. I like Pat the bunny-comes with the stuffed animal and each page has a different feel to it..there is a whole collection.

o

We like Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, too. Have it in board book and hardcover paper version.

DD is almost 2 and loves her Dr Suess board books. She likes Mr. Brown Can Moo, too. And "The Foot Book." And the Dr. Suess series of books are ones that will be used over and over in the years to come, from pictures to beginning reader.

I recommend anything by Eric Carle, truly the best books for toddlers and preschoolers. Wonderful stories, well-thought out use of words, and the most beautiful pictures. She will enjoy them for years to come. There are dozens of titles and many come in paper and board books. The pictures are bright. The story is simple and uses the same words over and over, which kids like because of the predictability. The stories are centered around nature themes, the butterfly, cricket, lighting bug, clouds, etc. So they learn a simple science lesson at the same time. They are great for lap books with toddlers up to early readers ages 5-6. Any bookstore or library will have lots of his books.

"Guess How Much I Love You" is about a daddy bunny putting his son to bed. It is too cute! I've also seen that one in board and paper.

o

My toddler loves the Thomas the Tank Engine board books. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom (we are on our 3rd copy of that) and he has a Home Depot book about a saw that he really likes. All 3 kids loved Polar Bear Polar Bear and Brown Bear Brown Bear (Eric Carle) as 1 year olds. Anything that he can touch is popular also.

Mommabear

o

The Runaway Bunny, by Margaret Wise Brown.

o

Anybody else have "The Monster at the End of This Book"? It's the one with Grover from Sesame Street in it. I used to have a golden-book copy when I was little (my daddy would read it to me complete with grover-voice), and it got destroyed, going through 5 kids. Well, I found a copy of it in BOARD BOOK format at Wal-Mart! I snapped that baby up so quick.....

You can get some Dr Seuss / Theo LeSieg books in board format, too - for kids under 3, that's all I tend to buy them.

o

• Posted by
    rhondat
    (rws@mgl.ca) on
    Mon, Nov 12, 01 at 1:07

My dd's favourite at that age was Dr Suess', "Green Eggs and Ham", and another called, "The B Book". To tell the truth, ANY book I read to her was her favorite as long as I read it with lots of emotion (happy, funny, laughing, squeals of delight/surprise etc.)
I think I could have read her the cook book and she would have loved it.
As for "The Monster At The End Of This Book", when I was around 10, I used to read that book to my little brother who was 4. He absolutely loved it. There was another Sesame Book with Grover and his line was always, "ALA PEANUT BUTTER SANDWICHES!" ~ but I can't think of the title.

o

It must have been one with Magic Mumford in it!

We also had one with Oscar in it - "GO AWAY" or something like that. That one was my brother's favorite :-)

o

Oh, Becky--I also snatched up "The monster at the end of this book" when I saw it--it was my very favorite when I was little. I only hope DS enjoys it half as much as I still do!

Alissa

o

We also like the Five Little Monkeys series

o

Goodnight Moon has always been a favorite.

My son loves Click, Clack, MOO and the Olivia books.

o

Sam's Boo Boo and Doctor Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here