Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP please.. babysitting prices

Posted by cutiepatootie04 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 18, 05 at 18:05

I am starting a new job for this lady and she having me babysit her kids, but I won't be getting paided by her I will be getting paided by the state, now I will be babysitting her 5 month old boy and her 5 year old daughter while she goes to work, and the little boy I will be watching him 8 hours a day 5 days a week, and the little girl I will be watching 3 hours of the day 5 days a week, now I thought a good price range would be 7.00 for the little boy and 5.50 for the little girl. Does anyone think that is reasonable? and do you have any other prices that you would like to give me, the mom thinks I should get paided 5.00 for the both of them, and I just think that is a little to cheap, I mean this is going to be a full time job basically and I don't want to sound greedy or anything...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP please.. babysitting prices

It depends on where you are located, and if you are licensed.

o

cutiepatootie04 Thanks for your email and you are welcome! I can't seem to send you an email here so I am going to post here and let you know what I am paying to give you an idea.

When I was living in metro DC area, the cheapest non licensed daycare I can find is $140 a week, no food provided. I can leave my baby there for up to 10 hours a day. I have to pay for all absent days. I know the lady charges much more for other kids, on average $180 but they don't pay absent days. I guess in the end it averages out because my child usually only go 3-4 days a week.

I now moved to southern Virginia, the non licensed home care costs about $100 a week and I don't have to pay absent days. Some provide food some don't. Licensed daycare center costs $160 - $200 a week, food provided and I have to pay absent days. Either case I can put my child there for up to 10 hours a day.

All in all I don't think long term childcare is counted by hour. Say $200 a week for up to 10 hours a day, that's only $4 an hour. Drop in hourly babysit is different.

If I were you I will check what the market rate is and charge what you are comfortable with. If you think her rate is too low then don't do it :) It's your time and you should do whatever feel comfortable to you.

o

Call around and see what the local daycares are charging. I think you'll have a hard time getting $5 or more per child. The $4 per hour total mentioned above seems more likely. If the state is paying the wage, I'm guessing you are going to have the licensing issue too. Different states have different rules. Here, you don't have to be licensed if you have less than six children to watch. Since the state is paying the wage, you may still need to be licesnsed, but they might also pay the cost of lunches and other things.

o

I am a preschool owner, I would say the cheapist you should be is 380.00 a month full time, If she gets asf the state pay, in oregon they pay up to 320.00 a month, that is at a preschool, but watching children is alot of work dont sell your self to cheap!!!!

o

I live in michigan, am 16,and I Babysit 3 little girls ( ages 5, 3, and 4 mo) they pay me $12.00 hr no matter how many of the girls will be there. they also live in a million dollar mansion so they can afford it.I have babysat for other families also. I guess my point is try the 5.00 /hr for a week or so, if you find out the kids are little brats, tell her you want the higher price or you walk. If she refuses just tell her the truth, your too good of a babysitter for her kids.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here