Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too Early to Stop the Thumb Sucking??

Posted by Karla_NE (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 01 at 15:00

My DD turns 1 on Wednesday. She has been sucking her thumb since she was 3 or 4 months old. I am concerned that the longer she does it, the harder the habit is going to be to break. Is it too early to put some of that icky tasting stuff on her thumbs to nip the habit in the bud now? It seems like she always has one of her thumbs in her mouth and I hear these horror stories of kids sucking their thumb in grade school and their teeth being all messed up. My friends little boy is 6, and he still sucks his thumb at times, and his teeth are terrible. I just don't want to wait until she is too independent or old enough that she will resist this. Help! Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too Early to Stop the Thumb Sucking??

I'd go for it now...It seemed like the older past one my daughter got the more independent she got. I don't want to even think about taking the pacifier away from her now (she'll lbe 2 soon) she walks around saying....I want, I want about everything and when she can't find her Nuk she cries and says "where did it go Nuk". It only gets harder to break bad habits she's so stubborn now. Maybe I'm wrong about the thumb stuff but I don't have any experience with the thumb just the pacifier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here