Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daycare Change

Posted by Karla_NE (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 01 at 13:23

To make a long story short, this upcoming Monday, 11/26, my DD is starting a new daycare. She is going from a very small in-home daycare to a daycare center. (She will be a year old on 11/28). Any expertise on how she may react or deal with this change? I am sure it will be harder on me and DH than it will be on her, but I just want to know what to expect. I have talked to some mommies who say that the adjustment period can be a couple of weeks?? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daycare Change

When I started my son out in pre-school (daycare center, about 10 kids in his class on a full day, 2 teachers) he loved it. It was so much fun for him to play with all of these kids. I started out by saying to him "ready to go and play with the kids", and he would run to the door to go to daycare. I think you might be surpised at the transition, it wasn't negative for us.
Jainie

o

We moved to Florida a year ago when our sons were 17 months, 4 years and 6 years old. Until then they were cared for at home by a nanny. They attended a neighborhood preschool for a few hours. We switched the younger 2 to a full day preschool and the older one went to aftercare after school.

It did take our youngest child a while to adjust to being away from home during the day. It took him a few weeks to fully adjust. When I left him in the AM he cried, but when I picked him up he didn't want to leave. I think the transitions bothered him more than being in school as he was always happy and playing when I peeked in at him during the day.

Mommabear

o

A year old is younger than mine was... but anyway here's my story. My DD made the same change, but at 2. And at that age, she was ready for the more constructed activity of the center, as opposed to the non-activity-oriented attention at the in-home place. And she loved it - still does. She seemed to crave doing more craft-type things and playground-type stuff, which they were not doing at the in-home place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here