SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Emergency Plans for toddlers

rob333 (zone 7b)
21 years ago

I just thought I would post a reminder to tell you it its never too early to begin teaching emergency procedures to your sweetheart.

This idea came about when my two year old nephew decided he would head across the backyard and a subsequent corn field to the other side of the road, gasp! The people who found him asked him if he knew his name and where he lived. God bless his parents for teaching him, he did. I thought to myself, will my son be able to do that when he's two in another six months? So I started teaching him his full name, his parents full name and his address. We are still working on the phone number.

I also realized telling him never to talk to strangers was unreasonable. So we walked around I showed him which strangers are "good" and which ones are "bad" (to the best we can guess in this tricky world) based on different factors I feel comfortable with. He can pick them out of a crowd now. And we're working on telling someone no-no, then find an appropriate grown up, if a person wants to give him something or take him somewhere, that is a tough one for him to get and still too young to understand, but I am going to keep asking until he gets it.

We also have "fun" fire drills.

Repetition my dear friends, but make it fun and tell them why you are doing it. Kids are smart, but they have to have the information in order to use it. Be safe and happy!

-Robin

Comments (3)

Sponsored