Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Food Throwing

Posted by Karla_NE (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 01 at 8:29

My 11 1/2 month old DD has this really *annoying* habit of throwing food on the floor. She eats finger foods and will frequently eat a bite, throw a bite, eat a bite, throw a bite. We tell her "No throw!", try blocking her favored throwing arm (LOL), etc. Any tips from Moms that have been there/done that?? Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Food Throwing

DS is 16mo and is still doing that. One of the big dilemmas for us is that he thinks it's great fun b/c the dog runs around to eat everything he's dropped. And I feel heartless gating her out of the kitchen while the rest of us are in there.

I don't really know that there's a way to stop it; it seems to be connected to learning about gravity, and about seeing mom bend over continually. We have just started putting DS's high chair right up along the table, on the side of the tray, not the front. This lets him reach the table, and we're trying to get him to place things he doesn't want (sippy cup, vegetables, whatever) on the table rather than throw them. Mostly we ignore the food/spoons/cups on the floor, and we don't pick them up while he's in the high chair. And we give tons of positive reinforcement for getting things on the table.

In the meantime, if you're over carpet, get a big splat mat or piece of carpet!

Hope that helps a little.

o

Getting a splatter mat and ignoring it got my DD through that phase. They really do love seeing mommy pick it up over and over. At that age, if you want a behavior to stop, ignoring it usually helps (if it's not dangerous or something like that).

o

i've never seen a kid who did not go through a period of throwing their food on the floor. The splatter mat is a great idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here