SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jsdnery

Developmental Delays

jsdnery
15 years ago

Hi! I am a young mother of a 17 month old... I usually don't join posts but I couldn't help being concerned about some of u. My son, when he was about 3 months old, was not able to raise his neck and his arms appeared to be floppy. So my pedia-doctor suggested I take him to a pediatric neuro to assess him. The initial evaluation was that he has hypotonia- which means his muscle tone was very low and that we had to do several tests to find out what was causing this hypotonia.

I was in denial at first and refused to do the tests, sought for 2nd, 3rd, 4th and countless doctors' opinions until I gave in for the tests.

He had a brain MRI at first, found out he had a delayed myelenation(maturation) of the brain which is inconclusive because he's still very young and it's common. They asked us to do it again when he's 18months.

Then he had several blood exams and even special tests sent to other countries to check if he has some metabolic problems whatsoever. Some tests found something but still inconclusive, some were negative... but no Doctor could tell us what or why.

We even went to a geneticist which was very expensive and stressful cause they are hard to find. She couldn't diagnose him too.

His final test was to have an EMG where in they prick all his muscles with a gigantic needle which made him cry till he lost his voice and he threw up several times because of pain. This was to determine if his muscles were functioning or not. The test came out negative.

So we were stuck up with no diagnosis and we just felt helpless. My son showed no cognitive impairment, he was just delayed with his gross motor skills and appeared floppy. So no Doctor could help us.

At one point, I just looked at my son and realized that no one could help him but me, I just made a decision that if I believe and trust that he is okay, he will be okay. He was 3months old and God knows how much pain he has been through.

So I just decided to let all the tests and Doctors go, they can't help me anyway. I enrolled my son in a private occupational therapy session who visits him for 3 times a week and engages him in play therapy. Then I brought him to play gyms where he joined other babies his age and gave him a lot of stimulation. I even learned how to give therapy myself. I never look at him or treat him like there's a problem with him. Sometimes, I still worried, but I have faith in God and in my son.

After a few months of play therapy, he caught up with his gross motor delays. So I stopped the therapies, and I stopped worrying. I let my son enjoy his 1st year of life.

Now he's 17 months old and just started walking 4 weeks ago... he's just saying 3-4 words, he doesn't appear floppy anymore but walks everywhere and is very sweet, charming, responsive and witty! Those doctors said that he may not be able to walk, but look at him now!

So my advice to you moms, no one can better help your child than you! If you think, there is really something wrong with your child, then seek all the help you can get, but give him early intervention. Check out wee exercises dvd's, they're a great help. Stop worrying too much about what your child can't do but focus on what he/she can do... children are all different and there are acceptable ranges of delay for them. It may be that they lack stimulation and opportunities to reach those milestones. So rather than wasting time running after those doctors who are unwilling to help, spend time with your child and try to assess him on your own, address his delays with play therapy, it might be there was nothing wrong at all! He just didn't have much opportunity.

Besides, our moms never had those developmental checklist in their time. They just let us be! in our own pace!

Good luck! hope this could be of help!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!