Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1st real bike for daughter???

Posted by uspresidiot (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 14, 06 at 15:20

I am not sure which size to get, she is about 41 inches and will be 5 in January. She has one of those plastic trikes, but i want to get her a real bike with training wheels. Do i get her the 16 inch or the 20 inch. I dont want to take ehr to try them I want it to be a surprise.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1st real bike for daughter???

Measure how low the seat will go. You want her to be able to touch the ground while sitting for a first bike.
A bigger bike will last her longer, so if the seat goes low enough, the 20 inch would be better.
My grand kids started with 20 inch bikes at about 5 or 6...but I have no idea how tall they were.
Linda C

o
RE: 1st real bike for daughter???

My suggestion is...don't get the bike so big that so she'll "Grow into it and we won't have to get her another bike". Made that mistake. Because it is bigger she'll have a harder time riding, Go With Lindac...her feet MUST touch the ground at the lowest level of the bike. I'm thinking 16" may be it, but I could be wrong. The best test is to take her to the store, try her on the bikes, Make sure that seat is at it's lowest, if her feet COMFORTABLE touch the ground (NOT ON TIPPIE TOES), then go for it. If not, get the next size down. You will not waste money buying two bikes because she won't ride what she isn't comfortable riding, and she'll want those training wheels off sooner rather than later. Besides bikes are tippy with training wheels on (they're suppose to be, they're training wheels, not keep the bike steady wheels!!!), so she has to get on by herself comfortably, get off without too much fear of falling (the fear will be there, but if her feet can touch the ground quickly, the fall will be less stressful), she will keep it up much longer. Remember too, these bikes will take longer to learn to ride, it won't be a jump on and go...if you peddle backwards, they stop. This will be frustrating for both of you at first. That's just one of the transitions from trike to bike.

Vickey-MN

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here