SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nettasaura

Waking nightmares???

nettasaura
17 years ago

Our four year old has re-entered a period of waking nightmares and we don't know what to do. He had a problem for almost 9 months about a year ago, but stopped and was sleeping through the night. Now he is back to having these waking nightmares. His crying is horrid, like he's absolutely terrified and sometimes it will take him a full five minutes to wake from the dream. Usually he is completely soaked in sweat. When we question him about what his dreams are about(immediately upon coming out of dream state) he either won't talk or says he doesn't know or remember. But I know he does because one night he was fully awake, but I could tell he was remembering because every few minutes he would start crying like he was scared again. We try to censor what he sees on TV because he seems to be very sensitive to visual imagery so I can't for the life of me figure out what is causing the nightmares. It's even more frustrating because he is actually old enough to talk and tell us what's going on this time. When it comes down to it he is afraid of everything and our two and a half year old is a daredevil like nothing else (yeah, that one broke his arm on Mother's Day, when he was 18 months and proceeded to come home from the ER, march up to the very same chair he fell off of and try to climb right back up on it, big clunky cast and all - we are in big trouble with this one!)

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on how to coax our son into telling us what his dreams are about?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider