Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone have speech videos or sign language books

Posted by mamagirl (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 07 at 9:12

Please my son is 3 and has no words email me if anyone has books or videos for speech..and potty training please help me sunnydayssummer@aol.com THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone have speech videos or sign language books

There are all sorts of web sites to learn about potty training, why are you looking for free videos?

o

My "Mommy" answer: Check your library or www.signingtime.com for Signing Time Videos! They are wonderful!!! Signing Time is also on most PBS stations, but you would have to check your local listings. It is on ours at 5am, way before my little one wakes up.

www.sign2me.com also has classes that you can take to learn to communicate through sign.

Now as a teacher of the deaf, I highly recommend you getting that baby's hearing tested!!!! Also, make sure your doctor knows that he is not talking! You could be dealing with a hearing problem, autism, or some other speech delay. If so, the sooner you get help the better.

o

Although I don't know anything about your son's situation except that his language has not developed by that age, I also recommend for your son's hearing to be tested and language development evaluated if not done already. Then you will have a starting point. I am also a teacher of the deaf and I am Deaf. I was very fortunate to have parents who started me in a good program for the deaf right away after finding out about my deafness at the age of 2. They also started learning sign language to communicate with me. All of that helped me greatly with my language development compared to many deaf people who are still struggling with English.

Now my son is also deaf, I have already began working on his language development so he will have the same advantage as I had.

o

Dino Cave Kids at dinocavekids.com has great new home videos for speech (also used in schools and hospitals) for 6mo-6ys -giving kids excellent practice of speech and other early skills. The videos use multi-sensory stimulation and adorable animated dinosaurs and real life video showing kids how to make the speech sounds and using them in words and short phrases- really making a difference. They teach parents along with the kids!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dino Cave Kids

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here