SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
apoem

traveling- need suggestions and lots of them.

apoem
20 years ago

Here is the scenario:

We are traveling for three driving days by car one way to see my inlaws and three days back home. If I am really lucky it will be a two and a half day drive. We will be gone for a total of about three weeks. We are going with my four year old boy Justin, my two year old daughter Emmaline, and my then 3 month old baby.

We have a van so the kids don't sit next to each other.

The van has a tv with a vcr. I will pop in a few videos and have actually bought a video or two for the trip in anticipation of desperately needing a break. However, I'm very leary of letting the kids watch too much tv.

I have bought two little backpacks at the dollar store. I have filled each one with crayons, paper, stickers, tape, etc. The types of things they can do to entertain themselves for say 10 minutes or so. I have chalk in the van that they can use on sidewalks at rest areas for our many stops to breastfeed the baby.

I anticipate that we will be stopping about every four hours to feed the baby and go to the bathroom. I would not be surprised if we stop more often.

I'll have a cooler filled with apples, juices, and other types of snacks. We have pillows and blankets for the kids and passenger.

Driving at night is really not an option (per my husband). On the way there we will stop at do something fun for a day so that will break the trip up on the way there. On the way home we will not stop. We always say we will but we won't and there are many mil/husband reasons why and too long to go into family dynamics about that here.

So now- I need help.

TV, snacking, writing on sidewalks at stops, and coloring will only take up so much time. I know it won't take up three days of time. I'm thinking of putting three little bags/boxes together with different 'stuff' for each day. I prefer that it's 'stuff' that is easily lost or used up so I don't end up with more toys and 'stuff' at home or inlaws house. Ideas? Suggestions?

And I'm thinking of buying a *Gasp* (anyone who knows me would be shocked to hear this) a game boy for my son to play. Does anyone have a four year old who uses a game boy? Are there any age appropriate games that aren't bloody and gory etc?

And are there any other suggestions for driving with kids?

Ginger

Comments (7)

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA