Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
20 month utters few words

Posted by beenish (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 9, 07 at 16:29

my baby boy is 20 month old but he utters few words like mama , yes...............im concerned abt him. he has his elder sister n he tries to communicate with her but says meaningless words. he also tries to talk to me but words are meaningless. soemtimes he tries to imitate me like trying to speak sis's name etc. u think his progress is ok?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 20 month utters few words

Sounds like he's probably still "within normal limits" but on the slow end. The fact that he's trying to communicate is a really good sign.
It could be absolutely nothing (most likely), or it might be the first sign of a problem.
Knowing what I now know, as the parent of a child with special needs, I'd watch carefully, take notes, and bring up your concerns (if you still have them) with his pediatrician at his normal 24-month check-up. What kind of notes?:

- Is he making lots of different nonsense sounds? Or just a few sounds over and over. Write down the sounds he does make, and if you can tell, the words he's attempting and how he says them. (For example: cup - 'u)

- Do you have any reason to believe his hearing is less-than-perfect? And have you had it checked recently? Any history of ear infections?

- Is there any other reason to believe there may be a problem? Has he met all of his other milestones on time?

- How are his large- and fine-motor skills? Are you able to compare his skills to other kids his same age?

But the most important bit of advice I can give you is simply this: If your gut tells you that there's a problem (not your over-anxious Mom voice - but your gut), then insist on an evaluation by a Speech and Language Pathologist, just to set your mind at ease.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here