SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gobaby_gw

I am so stressed out....

gobaby
21 years ago

I have 2 children almost 4 and 2 1/2. The older is a boy and the younger is a girl. DS is going through a phase where he is constantly arguing about everything. Going anywhere with him is almost impossible. He throws a tantrum if we don't do what he wants to do.

I have always been consistent with discipline and I thought that would make things easier for me. Well, it doesn't seem to affect his behavior. When he starts throwing a tantrum (yelling and crying)I give him a warning and then if he doesn't stop immediately I put him in timeout. His behavior does improve after he comes out of timeout but only for an hour or two.

If he is misbehaving with a toy the toy is taken away and put into time out. He doesn't have a favorite toy and we rarely watch tv so taking those away wouldn't work.

I have had him looked at by his doctor and he says that he is perfectly happy and normal and suggests this is only a phase. "Kids will be kids".

I can handle the fact that kids go through phases but it is starting to take a toll on me. DD is starting to pick up tips from her brother.

My Dr has suggested that I go on Paxil which is a medication to treat panic and stress. I just don't know what to do. I've been getting my sitter to watch the kids a bit more so that I can take a break but my stress levels don't seem to be improving.

Has anyone else out there gone through this? Any suggestions for me?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and respond. THanks.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals