Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hasidic Jewish children, wouldn't include DD...

Posted by emmhip (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 21, 06 at 10:58

This weekend in New Hampshire (we were visiting our condo) and at a local playground, a bunch of Hasidic Jewish children were playing. My daughter attempted to play with the other kids and they basically ignored her. She turned to me at one point and asked, "Why won't they play with me?" I told her, "I don't know honey..." Their mothers were right there. I just stood there with my 5 month old DS in my arms, and didn't know what to do. Eventually we left. My DD wanted to know why they wouldn't include her, and I had no answers...

Does anyone have any insight into why?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hasidic Jewish children, wouldn't include DD...

I wouldn't necessarily assume that it had anything to do with their religion or culture. Possibly it was the fact that you and your daughter were strangers to them.

We used to have playgroups at local parks where our kids sort of stuck together and played, had snacks and drinks, etc. There were other kids at the park sometimes but they never really tried to join the group. I would think we would have let them, but I think if there is already a group of friends playing at a park it's sort of hard to add a stranger in the mix.

I would just explain to your daughter that to them you are strangers and often parents prefer not to let their children play with kids they don't know.

o

I don't know why either, but maybe it's because you're not a hasidic jew. They can be very insular - want their kids to hang out with 'their own kind' sort of thing. Also, maybe their kids speak only yiddish. Sorry your child had to experience this kind of alienation; it's not a great introduction to hasidism.

o

I just didn't know how to explain it to her! She didn't seem to care that they were dressed different/looked different, she just wanted someone to run around with. They were speaking English, so it wasn't that. I felt bad because I would NEVER tell her (or let her) not to include someone, no matter what, so it was hard for me to get her to understand why someone wouldn't include her. Do the Hasidic jews in NYC act similar? I know there are a lot in the city. They must have to interact with everyone else, right?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here