Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
book re. sleeping through the night

Posted by superbee (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 03 at 21:12

Hi,

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a book that tells you how to get your toddler to sleep through the night? DS's sleep pattern is rather erratic, he wakes up at least twice during the night and hasn't slept through the night even once since he was probably 9 months old - that was 7 months ago :-(
THanks much in advance,
Superbee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: book re. sleeping through the night

Don't know of a book, but when my dr. recommended the Ferber method--not letting them cry it out, but not giving in either. Wait 5 minutes before going in, the next time wait 10, etc. until it just isn't worth the child's effort. I'm sure if you looked up Ferber on the web, you'd get lots of info. It suited my parenting style, too--lovingly consistent, letting a child know they can "count" on me, but trying not to be manipulated, etc. It seemed good middle ground stuff and it worked. I started having a problem around 9 months, too, during cold and flu season. What started out as sympathy on my part ended up as routine for DD--several wake-ups with mommy running in. Within a week, the Ferber method greatly improved everyone's sleep. She's now 2.5 and I have had to go back to it occasionally (after a vacation, illness etc.) but it's not taken more than 2 nights to get her "back on track"--with the exceptions of nightmares, of course, which do require cuddles.

Good luck and hope you get some rest.

o
RE: book re. sleeping through the night

Thanks much. I found a lot of information on the Ferber method at babycenter.com. Will read the info and then give it a try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here