Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remove crayon from desk

Posted by carla35 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 08 at 17:19

I have one of those kid's plastic little tikes type desks that I wanted to give away but it's covered with crayon marks. I'd kinda like to get it clean before I give it away. I tried goo gone and magic earasers... which only helped a little and would require more time than I would want to spend.

Does anyone have any ideas how to remove all the crayon marks that wouldn't involved spending $10 on cleaning supplies or 2 hours on scrubbing? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remove crayon from desk

Magic eraser usually works pretty well without a lot of elbow grease.

o

It won't do the finish of the plastic any good....but if all you want is clean, comet or another scouring powder should work.
Or just plain old paint thinner should do it as well....should just dissolve the wax.
Linda C

o

I used WD-40 on our Little Tikes picnic table. It took some of the crayon off.

o

Try some mineral spirits or lighter fluid. It removes lots of stuff without damaging the surface.

o

Oh, thanks guys, I forgot I posted this. I'll give the suggestions a try. I did get the million small stickers off a few weeks ago! Hopefully, something will work on the crayon marks without too much work.

Thanks again.

o

As a tip to any NEW parents reading this: Make sure you use name brand such as Crayola. Their paints, crayons, etc wash off walls, furniture and clothing much more readily than other brans (Roseart is one of the WORST to get off walls and woodwork).

o

Remember crayon is just wax. Try taking an old towel or piece of fabric, place it on top of the crayon marks and iron. The iron will melt the wax down and it should stick the fabric. I'm not sure if this will work on a bumpy surface though :/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here