SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monica1987

Bedtime nightmare for mom!

Monica1987
12 years ago

I have a 21 month old who I have the majority of the time. She stays with her dad on Wednesday nights and every other weekend. I am a substitute teacher and my schedule has varied so much in the past with daycare etc. My daughter has been through so many different "routines" that it has just become such a mess now and I just feel terrible. She has always napped with me or my mom during the day because I never passed up a chance to nap and I love the snuggle time. I am currently in a place with her where she knows that if the sun is out she can sleep with mom, and when it's dark out that is when she sleeps in her room in her crib. The problem is, I still am "rocking" her to sleep which is taking an hour. Because we travel SO much to see my family, and her being with my mom while I work and then being with her dad (who do things "their" way no matter what I request) this just seems to be the only way to get her to sleep successfully. I have established the cry-it-out method during the night because at one point (after numerous ear infections) I felt so bad that I was putting her in bed with me. That soon came to an end when I couldn't stand it anymore! She still is getting up about once a night, but goes back to sleep after screaming for 15 minutes.... Things are all over the place because of the amount that we travel, and the arrangements with her dad she has no idea but to be confused, and while I get frustrated I know that it is all my fault, and I have created this and it breaks my heart. Soon we are going to be transferring to a toddler bed so that I can work on it with her before going back to work. I am a big believer in the cry-it-out method, and continuing to place her in her bed, but I feel that it always fails when we travel someplace or she spends the weekend with her dad. After that it all falls apart and we never have a routine for more than a 2 week span. If anyone has any suggestions or related stories I would LOVE to hear them. It brings me to tears just actually writing it all out and looking at it as a whole. Feeling pure failure...

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!