Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Extra wide shoes for toddlers?

Posted by phyllis_philodendron (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 1, 06 at 16:38

My son's feet are so wide and chubby we always need to buy extra wide. We normally go to Stride Rite and I'm hoping to find a less expensive alternative! I'm beginning to think it's a conspiracy. LOL Just wondering if anyone else has any luck with this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Extra wide shoes for toddlers?

I used to get my daughter's Stride Rites on EBay. A lot of people sell new ones cheaper than the store, but you have to make sure the shipping is reasonable.

o

We have an outlet mall up the road a bit that has a striderite outlet. While all outlet prices are not always low, I did find a difference between the outlet Striderite and the regular Mall Striderite.

o

Payless Shoe Stores here in Texas sell the extra wide shoes for Toddlers. They aren't as good as stride rite, but for everyday knock arounds, we found them satisfactory.

Brenda

o

We use Payless too. Also, when my kids were younger I found some plain white tennis shoes with the vel-cro in wide width at WalMart and loved them. I liked them so much that I bought two pairs (I had two kids) in every size they had. We had shoes for several years! When you find those wide widths at good prices, you gotta stock up.

o

Get skater shoes!!!!!!!! I have an 18 month old who has had the hugest and widest feet ever since he was born. Even in the womb all I could ever feel is his heels! LOL You go to the shoe store and all they want you to get is stride rite because they do come in wide but a girl working there said to get skater shoes for him because they naturally run wide and ever since then that is all we get. "Etnies" is a one brand that works well for us but the "Nike Free" has been the best and they are so light weight. We got him a whole size bigger than what he needed because he grows so fast and they have been great. Target also carries skater shoes that you can pick up for $12.00. I hope this helps!!

o

Skater shoes and shoes that in general just look like they're made wide. New Balance is the only athletic shoe that I have found that come in wide and extra wide sizes for kids. I have found great success with Zappos.com and newbalanceexpress.com. It can be hard to find the wide and extra wide sizes in the stores. The shipping is free and they were helpful to me in the customer service department. Good luck.

o

My 2 year old has quite the chubby feet too. We had to get the skater shoes "Vans" at Kohls for about $15-20.

o

Pip Squeakers, enough said.

o

I have a 3 and 5 year old and they have EXTRA Wide feet. They can't wear Payless, New Balanc or Nike's. We have tried with several blisters. We are stuck with Stride Rite XW and my 5 year old is wanting something cuter. Stride Rite only offers a few styles and they are dull. Any suggestions? Anyone tried the Land's End wides?

o

Bringing this back to the top to see if there are any additional suggestions. Our granddaughter has inherited this side of the families wide feet. So far we have used Stride Rite but there shoes are so gender stereo-typed. Almost all of their girl styles are pink - not a favorite color for us or her parents or me.

We'd prefer to get her something more neutral but not as boyish as their boy styles.

I'll check out New Balance too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here