Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Babysitting Age

Posted by carla35 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 07 at 16:31

I wonder what age do you think it is ok for older kids to start babysitting? Granted, I know maturity level and ages of the kids being looked after should come into play, but generally, what is the age nowadays that kids start to babysit?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Babysitting Age

That depends....on where the childred to be watched live, the time of day, the ages of the children sitting and being watched.
My daughter sat for the month old infant next door, when I was home at age 10. She "sat for" the neighbor across the street's 3 year old when she was 8. She played with the 3 year old so the mother could do ironing or sewing or other things, and the mother paid her $.25 an hour. It was good for everyone. For the mother as she got stuff done without her child whining, for me because my daughter wasn't fighting with her brother, for my daughter as she got to feel useful and earned a little money and for the 3 year old because she had the undivided attention of a "big girl" to play dolls with.
But I wouldn't want a babysitting situation when a 12 year old was watching 3 younger kids across town when the parents were going to be 50 miles away and not returning until 2 AM.
As I said, it depends.
Linda C

o

I know it depends, (a one hour thing is a lot different than a weekend away) but I remember our church having a list they put out and the kids would wait until a certain age (like 13) until they could add their names to the list as a possible babysitter.

I would bet there are church/school type listings, etc. out there today that list neighborhood babysitters. I guess I just wondered what age the kids are nowadays when they start to put their names on those type of babysitting lists and when they generally start babysitting?

o

I think girls can start babysitting when they're eleven. At that age most girls are realy mature. Younger girls (11 or so) can relate to the kids more. They are at the age that they are able to have more responsibilities and can handle them as well. Children under eleven aren't mature enough, most of the time, and sometimes need babysitters themselves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here