Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Playpen use by 3 year old

Posted by nicole_mom (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 20, 06 at 12:29

I share joint cutody with my 3 year old son's father; my son visits his father every second weekend for a sleepover. At his house, he sleeps exclusively in a playpen, for all naps and overnights.
I'm sure I once heard that children over three years of age weren't to sleep in playpens because they could climb out/other safety concerns... Does anyone else know of any regulations following playpen use after a child turns three?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Playpen use by 3 year old

Three does sound old to me.

You should probably refer to the instruction manual for the playpen and its weight and/or height restrictions and also it's usage for naps and overnight usage. Do you know the make of it? You could also ask your pediatrician for his opinion on the matter. They would probably know of the dangers first hand and you could pass on this "expert" opinion to your EX.

I bet your EX feels your son is safer in a playpen if he's not climbing out, so that he can't get into things.

Be careful not to suggest a crib at this age though. Many cribs also have height and weight restrictions that are lower than most three year olds too.

Sounds like dad may need to get his house in safe order and set up a toddler type bed for your son.

o

I found a very good site on the net that features an excellent safety info about playpens. You may want to check it out to ensure the safety of your child. Just click on the link below. Hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: PickyGuide

o

I am sure your son could also climb out of a regular bed....and certainly could crawl out of a crib.
I had a Pack-n'Play for my twin grandsoms...one slept in the crib and the other in the Pack-n' Play. When they got to be over about 2 1/2 I left the sides down so they could get out without climbing.
I expect your son finds it cozy and homey ...I wouldn't worry.
Linda C

o

What lindac said.

My DD loved the pack n play for naps and overnight trips. It was homey to her.

(my nephew however was a big kid and couldn't sleep in one. So i'd say it depends on size and weight).

In general, I agree with lindac, though. I'm sure it's fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here