SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
micahsmom_gw

14 month sons delays

micahsmom
15 years ago

my son is 14 month old and i am worried about the delays he has. he is currently receiving physical therapy and only started crawling the day before his birthday. he is coming along well with this. i was initially concerned with him because he started rolling at 6 months and at 7 months suddenly stopped. he started rolling again at 10 months but it was like starting all over again. he received a full evaluation at 10 months and it was noted that he had at least a mild delay in receiptive language. since that time i have noticed that he will achieve a milestone (waving, clapping, etc) then all of a sudden you will not see him do that skill for a month or two or longer then he will do it a few times then it's gone again. some things he has never done (ie. "so big") has anyone ever seen this?

i am also concerned that he is not putting words to objects. he doesn't know i'm mommy, a ball is a ball, a dog is a dog, etc. he does not respond to questions you ask him without using a gesture. he does not say any words but will ocasionally imitate words but not use them in a proper context. his doctor does not seemed concerned even though at his last well visit every language milestone was not achieved on their assessment. i am currently pushing to get a speech evaluation and him to be seen by a developmental pediatrician. i feel though no one is taking me seriously.

i have a lot of experience with young children. i was a daycare teacher for many years and a daycare assistant director. i have my degree in teaching. so i am not a dummy. i work with him all the time (reading, singing songs, talking with him) i know there is something going on with him, although i am not concerned about autism. he has very normal social skills. has anyone had experience with children like this? am i being too crazy about this?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County