Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
whining in a one year old

Posted by lillianpad (My Page) on
Fri, May 1, 09 at 20:12

I am at my wits end.

My daughter is 12 month old.

She is the epitamy of what a bipolar one year old would be. One minute she is perfectly happy and laughing the next minute she is SCREAMING. From there we transgress to whining. Not to mention she is clinging. She will not deal with any one but me, and if you know how this, you can imagine I am at the point of pulling my hair out. She whines so much!

I talk to her now when she whines. And this has been helping monumentally. I remain calm, because getting upset makes her upset.

But how can I brake the clingyness. I cannot leave her with any one. She makes herself pass out! SHe has been doing this for 4 months now. I took her to a Dr. They said, though it was more commonly seen in a toddler, it was a safe behavior of dominance. And let me tell you, it works.

How to I brake this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: whining in a one year old

Hi,sorry i have no advice just letting you know it is very normal,my son is 11 months old he has always been like this,.whines if i put him down i literally carry him everywhere ,I find it impossible to get much done around the house.but it is all my fault i shouldnt of started it ,when he whined i shouldnt of picked him up all the time.My now three year old was exactly the same,but is fine now,so they do grow out of it,but i know what you mean it does drive you nuts.

o
RE: whining in a one year old

One thing I did when my son was demonstrating this type of behavior (though he was a bit older) is to put something fascinating - their favorite toy - nearby and in view. Then to just sit there like a bump on a log and be absolutely boring. Not cold, but inattentive and BORING. Within a few minutes, the child will probably get up to play with the toy. Don't leave imediately or they'll get the connection, but sit there and go through your mail, do something on the other side of the room, gradually get a bit farther away...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here