Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feel sad for my son

Posted by Krisb_tx8 (My Page) on
Sun, May 12, 02 at 0:29

My son is 3 1/2 yrs. old and the neighbor across the street has a 4 yrs. old boy and they became good friends. They don't go to same school but always play together after school. Our neighbor become a victim of economy slow down and is listing their house for sale and it looks like they get a buyer. We talked to our DS several times that "Joe" is going to move out to his grandpa's place and there will be new people live in that house. My DS won't accept this and keep saying that "Joe" will come back like he always do every weekend. He said that I'm wrong. I feel so sad and I've teary eyes everytime I think that he is going to lose a friend at such young age. This is not the first time he lost friends, he had 2 classmates that moved away after Christmas but that didn't affect him. I just don't know what else I can tell him. When he didn't see "Joe" in his yard, he always asked where is Joe. Gosh, I dread the time for them to say goodbye. I always thought they'll grow up together. Got to stop here, writing this just makes me cry.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feel sad for my son

What tough lessons he is learning so young. Poor guy. I feel for you both.
Chantel

o

Well, I live a town that is full of Navy personel.
And around here, friends leaving is a real reality.
I dealt with it growing up and now, my children do the same.
My oldest boy (10), has "lost" several friends starting at about 19-20 months.
It was harder at around the age of 3-4, but kids are so resilliant. And after a few "weekends" he will get what you've been trying to "prepare" him for.
It's really harder on us Mom's, then our kids.
As far as the classmates not affecting him.
There were a dozen other friends still there.
He will be fine. It really is harder on you then him.
And it hurts just the same each time.
I know.
Take care,
Terri

o

Thanks all. Few days before neighbor moved (last week) he finally didn't say I was wrong. He accepted the fact, but now when he was playing by himself, he liked to talk as if Joe was there. Like imaginary friend. And he still kept asking why they need to move away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here