Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 year old with problems at daycare

Posted by daiglea (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 07 at 10:10

I have a 3 year old that has been kicked out of 2 day cares already. One which he only had been there for a week and a half. The daycare people tell us that he is too hard to control and will not stay still. The problem we have is that we don't see this at home. So this leads us to beleive that he has issues dealing with large groups. What i am looking for is other poeple that have this problem and could point me in the right direction to try and help my son in adapting to groups since he will be starting school very soon. I already been in touch with my doctor and i am meeting with her on Thursday and i have a nurse comming to our house in 2 week to evaluate his behavour and our parenting skills. So please if you have any information please feel free to contact me via email at andre.f.daigle@dieppevipers.com. Thanks a million.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 year old with problems at daycare

Is he your only child? In other words, do you have a good view of 'typical' to compare him with?

It would also help if you could get the classroom teachers in both of the daycares to write down for you 'specifically' what his behaviors were that caused them problems, and also how he differed from the other children in the room. To do this, you will need to make it clear to them that you are not looking to blame them, but rather to help your child by providing useful information to the professionals you are bringing in to evaluate him. You may even want to put your request and your reassurances in writing and talk with the director first, since they are generally very reluctant to 'speak poorly' of any child.

Hopefully, this won't be the case for you, but my son's former pediatrician seemed to 'discount' all of my concerns about my son's slow progress until I showed him notes from both of his daycare teachers that compared his progress to that of the other children. Those he believed.

o

I sent you an email. Hope our situation can help you in some way!

o

You need to spend time at his daycare watching him so you, too, can document or discount these behavior problems. Seems like the best place for the nurse to evaluate your son's problems is at the daycare center, where he's having trouble, not at home, where he seems fine. Maybe these programs aren't a good fit for him, and you might be able to see something obvious that have escaped others.

Being removed from two daycare programs must be very difficult for him, and it can't help his behavior.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here