SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
auntie10

I need activity ideas for a 3 almost 4 year old.

auntie10
15 years ago

I working towards fixing a problem from very far away. Two of my closest nephews live several states away. My sister is working towards a degree and is constantly relying on family babysitters. I hate to bash the family, but to make a long story short-- they know NOTHING about keeping small children.

I will admit that the nephew in question is, lets say "off the freakin' chain". But 50% of the problem is my families expectations. They drag him (three) and his brother (one) to basketball games, stores, and the family restaurant and whole-heartedly expects them to sit quietly for hours upon a time, while they complete their activities.

Needless to say, it doesn't work. Nor is it developmentally appropriate. Even when they keep them at home, they keep the tv on adult shows (appropriate, but boring). They never play children's music or try to do any activities with either of the boys. Basically they want their day to go as it would with children playing silently in the background.

I've told them in nice and not-so-nice ways that they are out of their mind. But now I'm just trying to come up with a solution. My plan now, is to come up with some activity bags for the three year old to travel with.

My thoughts were to put a few action figures and cars to keep them busy, but I need more ideas. The child has never liked to color (dkw) so that's out. I do not want to put anything in that will bother the adult because they will take it away and escalate the problem...

please ANY IDEA will help!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert