Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A question about the Chickenpox Vaccine...

Posted by Jill_NC (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 02 at 20:43

I'm not up on all the vaccine info. there is out there. In NC they passed a law stating that all children born after 4/1/01 HAD to have the chickenpox vaccine as mandatory. My DS was born a couple weeks prior to then, so that vaccine is optional for me. Are there any significant pros/cons for that vaccine? I remember having Chickenpox as a kid. Thanks for getting me into the loop on this one...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A question about the Chickenpox Vaccine...

Jill,

Here is some good info. I found on it. After reading it, and seeing that it can help prevent Shingles too, I would definitely recommend it. I not only had Chicken Pox as a young child, but then later in life had Shingles. It was painful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicken Pox Vaccine Information

o

Even with the vaccine, children can still get chicken pox, but it's much milder. I agreed to let DD get this vaccine.

o

We also agreed to have our son get it and he was born in April of 99. He did have side effects from the shot which made him look like he had chicken pox but he did not have the fever or any itching to go with it. It cleared up quickly and we'll see what the results are later on.

~Leslie~

o

Thanks for the replies. DS had his 1 yr well baby yesterday and they gave him the shot along with all the other routine shots. Luckily he tolerated the shots well with no side effects.

o

It was optional for my DD as well. In Canada we had to pay cash for it.

Because she was high risk for complications, we decided to have her vaccinated (DH had it as a teenager and suffered some hearing loss and other probs, I had it TWICE as a child and had a lot of scarring etc.).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here